Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should window vista be given a chance

Thanks

Post Should window vista be given a chance

Hi there,
    Just wanted to discuss certain issues regarding windows vista.Will this windows never crash???
    What about the space.it is going to consume 4 G.B of my hard disk space,Will work only on those p.c.'s having 512MB RAM(minimum) And i suppose that it will make p.c's slower than ever.As all the softwares with which we work are getting bigger in size.What about security,it promises to be secured but is it at par with linux???
    And the last thing what about the viruses??????

Thanks

Viruses will logically be more protected. The thing is, though, that with popularity, comes attacks. Macs are almost totally safe from viruses, not through security, from through no one trying to target like 2% of the net population, so they get ignored. In this sense, there's safety in LOWER numbers. So... viruses will probably have more protection against them, but, still, people will still write viruses for it, increasing with it's increasing popularity, and there's also the fact that it's new, so security won't be good for a while. For this, it's probably good to hold off through the betas and even til SP2 or whatever.

Yeah, it'll consume more HD space and memory. But newer computers can handle it. Hopefully.

Really, it seems silly to me, overall.
    It's just windows' way of copying OSX and they're doing it in such a dumb way.
    I saw a short clip where bill gates was demonstrating the features, such as a rolodex-style 3-dimensional spinning array of open windows which you could rotate through with animated transitions... just to cycle through windows.

What's the point?
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

There's an excellent podcast commentary on Windows Vista, especially the new security features. Check it out here: http://www.twit.tv/ww8 I think just based on those it's worth upgrading, or better yet, just get a new PC when Vista comes out.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I read a page somewhere (and tried to find it with no luck - sorry) about WV already having 6 security holes found by hackers (and it isn't even released yet!)

I haven't heard anything good about it yet that makes me want to switch/upgrade so I am going to wait a while.. you KNOW they will be releasing service packs.
    {CWoT - Riddle } {OSTU - Psycho} {Invasion - Team}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @Negative_Chaos
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

Were techies. We know the difference, security, blah blah blah. Some guy probably thinks to himself, "That looks cool I'll give it a shot". They probably would use a PC anyways because most of the population is familiar with them. Our entire schoolboard uses windows, not one mac or linux. It's pretty much the trend now-a-days
    - Mike

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Will this windows never crash???
    No, and as soon as you turn it on, rivers of nectar will pour down from the skies.
    Yes, it'll crash. Possibly more than existing versions, possibly less -- almost certainly more at this point, since it's unfinished.
    What about security,it promises to be secured but is it at par with linux???
    Unlikely. Several of the original design flaws still remain. It will almost certainly be a step up from Windows XP, though.
    Viruses will logically be more protected.
    There's a lot of work being done to allow more applications to run without full administrative privileges, but there's quite a way to go too (Office 12 still doesn't allow it, if I remember correctly). If Microsoft succeed there, it'll go a long way towards eliminating one of the primary security flaws in Windows. The kernel also no longer allows patching by anyone and his dog. However, IE is still integrated into the OS.
    Really, it seems silly to me, overall.
    It's just windows' way of copying OSX and they're doing it in such a dumb way.
    Agreed.
    I saw a short clip where bill gates was demonstrating the features, such as a rolodex-style 3-dimensional spinning array of open windows which you could rotate through with animated transitions... just to cycle through windows.

What's the point?
    That's more a demonstration than anything else. With a heavily graphics-enabled desktop, more useful effects are possible, such as window transparency, 3D workspaces, the whole nine yards. See the Metisse and LG3D projects for some practically-oriented examples. Beryl contains some too, although it's more centred around eye-candy.
    I read a page somewhere (and tried to find it with no luck - sorry) about WV already having 6 security holes found by hackers (and it isn't even released yet!)
    Although considering how long it's been available in beta (and the fact that it's Windows) that's not too bad.
    I haven't heard anything good about it yet that makes me want to switch/upgrade so I am going to wait a while.. you KNOW they will be releasing service packs.
    Agreed.

Unmentioned here is Vista's DRM support. Read the story of DRM/TCPA, from one side and the other.

Vista originally had many exciting features: WinFS, more customisability, the default themes, the Monad shell.... Microsoft seem to have gone through and carefully removed almost everything that attracted me to it, added DRM, and increased the price tag (for the top versions, anyway: you can bet the versions designed for we lower classes will run like treacle). However, there are still a few benefits for the developer -- nicer interfaces for several unpleasant low-level tasks have been introduced.
    Last edited by Twey; 01-04-2007 at 02:47 PM.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Windows transparency is possible with XP (perhaps lower), and I've been using a fun little freeware app that a friend gave me that does it. Fairly worthless, but quite possible in XP.
    Anyway, yeah, just seems excessive.

Soon, it'll be required, since apps won't be backwards compatible. Yay for microsoft.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

I have a freeware program called Dm2 which manages your windows apps way better. It lets you have 4 different desk-tops, and lets you minize windows as floating-transparent icons. It also lets you screw with the transparency, hue and saturation of your windows. It's pretty cool.
    - Mike

Thanks
    Blog Entries

True transparency is far from worthless. For example, I'm writing this post whilst watching an IRC client for new messages through the window.

It requires careful theming for the text to remain visible, though.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    True transparency is far from worthless
    I hate to take sides with the extremely smart guy, but in this case I am
    With the program I use, I do that all the time with youtube.com, it's just a matter of which page is focused. That will determine which page I am typing on, so youtube.com could more simple be just a background.
    BTW, it's not a windows app.
    - Mike