Advanced Search

Thread: Page Name Lenght, How long is too long

Thanks

Default Page Name Lenght, How long is too long

Hi

I would like to know if there is a page name length that we should not go over

like : this_page_name_is_very_long_or_is_it.htm

how much is too much

I like putting my keywords/phrases as the page name.

But is it too long ?

Thanks

I think I read somewhere (jscheuer1 posted it, I believe) that anything over 256 characters can be a problem on some systems*, but not most.
    Generally, though, keep it short. If someone wants to come back to the page later, then they'd want to remember a short name, not a long one. It's also just annoying to look at.
    I'd say certainly don't make anything longer than the example above.
    But, technically, no, you can make it as long as you want.

(*Not sure if this was for the user or the server, or both. I'd imagine both, if both systems were ones that couldn't handle filenames that are too long.)
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

There may be a limit, but "designing" for sensible URLs should ensure you avoid it.

Keep in mind that a URL should be easy to type, well-structured[1], and easy to remember. That tends to mean keeping it short and simple.

Mike

[1] Well-structured refers to directory structure. Chopping off the end of the path in a URL should lead to some sort of overview for that part. Taking off another should lead to something that covers the entire section, and so on until the home page.