Advanced Search

Thread: Site creation & Different Browser viewing problem

Thanks

Default Site creation & Different Browser viewing problem

Hi,
    A site utilize your script and impress with your script and site. Creating a web page and
    read some books on html and js. Concluded that simple html would handle all browsers. Imagine my surprise when I view on different computer with different version of explorer. Looking for simple solution to handle all browsers. Using Frontpage 2002 with theme of blend. This is my first post at any forum,

1) When viewing with different version of explorer on diffrent computer, the
    text layout is different. Read if background colour selected in frontpage
    theme, this would resolve/stop the different text viewing format/layout? Need
    confirm if this info is true and what SIMPLE solution exist?

2) Is it true that Js version under 1.8 can be handle by most browsers and
    what is the exception?

3) What version of css can be handle by all browsers?

The web page being created is for a good cause and the studied site revamp
    with css. Don't want to delay the cause especially when having a hard time
    deciphering that site js and now css. Trying to avoid js as much as possible
    and if logic for different browser. Life complicated as is.

Would eventually use js, cookies, form and css but studying cases would delay the need for this site and it cause. Quick and "dirty" method to get site running and viewing of what I see is what I get / want. The site I am studing is using brower sniffing code to handle all browsers. Trying to avoid Js/java for users who disable js.

Thanks in advance for any help. Even simpler site to study that handle all browser.
    Last edited by scrt; 11-11-2006 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks

Using Frontpage 2002 with theme of blend.
    Remember: That theme will only work in IE.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tech_support View Post
    Remember: That theme will only work in IE.
    Thank for your reply professor.
    Creeated on laptop (frontpage 2000) and view with explorer (ver 6.0.28).
    When 90% finalize, port to desktop and view with explorer 6.0.26.
    Am using Internet Explorer and text layout/format viewing is different - text content.

Guess one solution is insert soft break (text line) rather than using paragraph break. Very surprise due to no mention in the library books.
    If having this problem, I could imagine what other surprises for
    different browsers. Do I have to stoop to line editing? In the theme
    checklist - vivid color, active graphic, background picture, css.
    Activating bg pic would resolve? and what new problem for different
    browser?

Why I post this article is to get insight into doing a web page for
    differemt browser. Site I is just simple text on a web page to make
    the world a better place. The content is the important feature.
    B;ack text on white background. With positve feedback on that site, would
    continue developing a kinda blog /forum with bite

Ok, since I got that surprise it means I did not read enough. Dummy
    books, some other web books, learn frontpage, java books. Any reading
    insight to design a web page for most broswer appreciated (problem
    encounter like this so I will not have any surprise). Internet been
    around for awhile and I am sure someone express their journey to
    create a text web page for most browser. Not even using css if that
    browser does not support. Building a better world involves everyone and
    am trying to handle most/all browsers.

Again tx for any reply or site to study

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Drop FrontPage. The code FrontPage produces is so hideous (even by the standards of WYSIWYG editors, which are rather poor in general) that the very mention of it tends to make web developers blanch.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Default editor recommendation

Thanks for your reply Twey (Mad Professor)
    Tx for your input and what wysiwyg editors do u recommend? Would be nice if editors can code for firefox, explorer, and netscape. I would initially had said any editor would do but am surprise with above situation. Keep HTML simple was my initial motto to handle all browsers.

I did not activate bg pic because possibility of extra generated code and web size kb increase. Glancing at html code, I was just happy that the web page work and did not blink too much about the hideous blanch generated code. Knew theme created extra code. I selected theme to give a uniform look (blend with navigation links at the side).

Intrested in hearing about css editor recomendation. Limit/weakness/negative on which browser if implemented.

One mistake I made with frontpage. When u change navigation / link, u can and will lose that page. Got a smile when I went to a computer store to savage lost pages. Had to recreate some of the content and it was not easy. Lesson to all, save pages on flash prior to link manipulation.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Tx for your input and what wysiwyg editors do u recommend?
    I don't. Use a text editor.

As I said above, the standard of code produced by WYSIWYG editors is invariably poor, since they have no sense of semantics. A WYSIWYG editor can't tell whether that block of text is meant to be a paragraph, a decoration, a form description, or a navigation menu.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

I would like to tx this site, twey, and professor for taking the time to respond to my query and to post on this site. Use a wysi.. editor to speed development but review necessary to insure semantics generated correctly.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

If you are a very experienced web developer, it is likely that you will be able to find and correct all the errors a WYSIWYG editor will introduce into your code (note: this doesn't include FrontPage, which generates code so poor that the whole page will likely need to be rewritten). However, this tends to mitigate any increase in development speed the WYSIWYG editor may allow. The best advice is, as ever, to not use a WYSIWYG editor in the first place.

Thanks

If you would like a WYSIWYG editor, then you could try Dreamweaver.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

You can even try Microsoft Expression Webdesigner which is a good WYSIWYG editor.

But especially if you deal with browser compatibility problems you should have to use some text editor (you have to code by hand)