Advanced Search

Thread: div collapses when i add floats

Thanks

Default div collapses when i add floats

Page: http://www.forbiddenmotorsports.com/foa/
    CSS: http://www.forbiddenmotorsports.com/foa/overall.css

The problem occurs at the bottom. Obviously the text is meant to be next to each other (right and left divs in css). However, if I add float:left to both elements to line them up, the container div for them (footer) collapses and I lose the background color. Why is this happening? If I add a height to the div it will keep its shape when I float the elements, but the text is going to be dynamic so I don't want a set height.

Basically, when the elements are floated the div sees no content in it and goes to height=0. How can I fix this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4bidden View Post
    However, if I add float:left to both elements to line them up, the container div for them (footer) collapses and I lose the background color. Why is this happening?
    Floating elements, just like absolutely-positioning them, removes those elements from the flow. It's almost as if they weren't there, though floating affects the horizontal positioning of nearby in-line content.

Basically, when the elements are floated the div sees no content in it and goes to height=0. How can I fix this?
    Place an element after the floated elements, and then use the clear property with a value of left, right, or both (depending on the direction(s) you floated the elements). This will force that element below the floated content, expanding the container in the process.

Mike

Thanks

Just a quick side note, but your 'home' link goes to the forbidden motorsports homepage and not your Flavours of Arizona homepage.