Thanks

Smile how to create path based based on menus visited

I want to create a path based on the menus clicked

just like
    Dynamic Drive Forums > DD Scripts > Dynamic Drive scripts help

in a web page can any one help me how to do this

10q

pradeep
    Last edited by ddadmin; 11-22-2006 at 08:02 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,187 Times in 3,151 Posts
    Blog Entries

The _pathGenerator 1.1 has nothing to do with what you are talking about. It creates code to allow you to animate a division on a page. What you are talking about is often called a breadcrumb trail. The way that the pages here on DD do this is very simple. The breadcrumb links are just hard-coded to the pages. If you get to any given page via the most likely method, the breadcrumbs will represent the path that you took to get there. However, if you happen to get to the page from a search engine or by jumping about the site in a different manner than the breadcrumbs where constructed for, it will not reflect the path you took to get there. It will still show the path most likely to have gotten you there and (in the case of the way the DD site is organized) show you how to 'back out' of where you are to the next level up in the organizational flow of the site.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yep, like John said, it has nothing to do with the pathGenerator script. As such I've removed the link, and moved this thread to the JavaScript forum.

There are many ways to create a breadcrumb trail, though typically, it's something closely tied to how your site is designed. For a dynamically generated site (ie: PHP/ mySQL), you would code this function into your pages directly, so the breadcrumb is generated dynamically and automatically depending on the page being viewed. Your other options are:

1) Hard code the breadcrumb on each page, as I do with DD, or
    2) Use a JavaScript breadcrumb script, though they are very rigid and not suited for most sites.

Thanks

Here is another JavaScript based breadcrumb script.

But I think if it is not complex then hard coding the breadcrumbs will be the easiest method as DD mentioned.