Thread: We need help.....

Thanks

Question We need help.....

Me and a friend use myspace.com but we both have put alot of time into researching the pictures we post and think everybody else should to instead of stealing our and using us as a host. All we want to do is disable right-clicking. We have been given many codes to use to stop the right click, but when we update our profiles the scripts are not the same, something changes them. So what I need to find out is, how can we do this without it changing the script when we update our profiles???

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I will **attempt** to head this bothersome, long debated and utterly rediculous topic off at the pass.

Don't do it. Don't even attempt to do it. Besides MySpace being a myriad of crappy coding, you can't prevent people from stealing your photos, clips, images, anything. If it is on your page it can (and probably will) be stolen at some point.

You see, even disabling the right click menu wont do much, except just that, disable the right click menu. Your image names as well as address and information is in the source code, which, again, doesn't need the right click menu to operate. Everything in the right click menu is a short cut to a function of the users computer/browser, that is also somewhere else. Most people that "steal" photos and such as a daily ritual, have keyboard shortcuts for all these operations anyway and never use the right click menu.

The ONLY way to prevent someone from stealing your photos is to NOT put them on the page in the first place.

As for the right menu, the only "perfect" item I have ever seen that gains a plausable use from disabling is Flash, in which the Flash creator can remove items such as "play" or "rewind" from the content menu and thus twart any "cheating" in the Flash movie being displayed, and since this is done before turning the movie into a web accessable item, the end user can do nothing to prevent or over ride it.

For your case, the best thing you can do is to put a watermark or similar on them.

Quote Originally Posted by katya
    Me and a friend use myspace.com but we both have put alot of time into researching the pictures we post
    That is, providing you and your friend actually own the rights to these photos and your "research" didn't include Google Image Search
    {CWoT - Riddle } {Freelance Copywriter} {Learn to Write}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @InkingHubris
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks
    Blog Entries

since this is done before turning the movie into a web accessable item, the end user can do nothing to prevent or over ride it.
    Technically, that's untrue. However, it does take a lot more effort to, for example, use a more flexible Flash player that allows disallowing of such operations, or to (in an extreme case) decompile and edit the SWF.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Aye, but that's my point... If I host a swf file and have altered the context menu, 1) I have yet to see a player that will allow to disallow the context menu operations, since those are defined in the AS during publishing, and 2) if you were to steal my fla, decompile it and remoe the context menu for yourself, how would you go about getting that new swf back onto my server?

All you have done is made a non CM version for your personal computer. And in the case of a contest or a high score thingy, where rewind/play would bennefit yourself, not uploading it back to the same dsirectory will render the high scores etc useless as you have to have all the files in the same directory
    PHP Code:
    echo 
    $result

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have yet to see a player that will allow to disallow the context menu operations, since those are defined in the AS during publishing
    When it's defined doesn't matter; the player has the final say. It can choose which parts of the code it wants to ignore. I'm speaking entirely theoretically, understand; I've never seen such a player either, but it's certainly possible to create one.
    And in the case of a contest or a high score thingy, where rewind/play would bennefit yourself, not uploading it back to the same dsirectory will render the high scores etc useless as you have to have all the files in the same directory
    And how does the file decide if it's in the right directory or not? Remember that the file isn't run from your server, even normally: it's downloaded into a temporary directory on the user's computer and then played. The only way it knows whence it came originally is by asking the player.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Actually the Player has less to do with the program than you think. In the case above, the swf is told by the AS file(s) where each thing is located, and it will check on load for those files, if theyaren't there, it wont work.

Keep in mind this is VERY weird security feature of Flash, and not me arguing the point. But if I made a game with 2 AS files and a high score list, ALL the files must be in the same directory, no matter what I code it as.

I can tell the swf that the high score file is in /highscore/ and the AS files are in /files/ and the movie itself is in /Flash/ and it still wont work, ever. Even using a crossdomain.xml file it wont work, all files must be local to each other.

Again, not saying it is impossible, but if you downloaded an swf of mine from my server, re coded it and uploaded it to your server and tried to use my AS files on my server your movie wouldn't even load up.
    PHP Code:
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

Uh... what's the point of this debate?
    Screen captures, people.... remember, screen captures....
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

In the case above, the swf is told by the AS file(s) where each thing is located, and it will check on load for those files, if theyaren't there, it wont work.
    The SWF isn't told anything -- the player loads the AS and SWF, and it's the player that decides what gets passed between them. Remember, SWF files don't run themselves: they have to be run by the player, and the player can run what it likes. The player, by necessity, controls everything.

Thanks

There is a code for disabling the right click specifically for images, however, in case anyone was looking for it:

<script language="JavaScript1.2">

/*
    Disable right click script II (on images)- By Dynamicdrive.com
    For full source, Terms of service, and 100s DTHML scripts
    Visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com
    */

var clickmessage="Right click disabled on images!"

function disableclick(e) {
    if (document.all) {
    if (event.button==2||event.button==3) {
    if (event.srcElement.tagName=="IMG"){
    alert(clickmessage);
    return false;
    }
    }
    }
    else if (document.layers) {
    if (e.which == 3) {
    alert(clickmessage);
    return false;
    }
    }
    else if (document.getElementById){
    if (e.which==3&&e.target.tagName=="IMG"){
    alert(clickmessage)
    return false
    }
    }
    }

function associateimages(){
    for(i=0;i<document.images.length;i++)
    document.images[i].onmousedown=disableclick;
    }

if (document.all)
    document.onmousedown=disableclick
    else if (document.getElementById)
    document.onmouseup=disableclick
    else if (document.layers)
    associateimages()
    </script>
    Source: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright2.htm

But yeah, there is no way to protect pictures that you probably ripped off of somebody in the first place.