Advanced Search

Thread: About 3-col Liquid Layout #3.7- (Fixed-Fixed-Fluid)

Thanks

Default About 3-col Liquid Layout #3.7- (Fixed-Fixed-Fluid)

Hi all
    I wanted to ask a question about layout Liquid #3.7

If i open it in Firefox and resize it, I get the correct behaviour: the liquid column get resized until it can, but the elements stay in place.

If i open it using Explorer, all the elements stack up in one slim column as the width of the window decreases.

Is there a way to fix this (to have a similar behaviour as the one of Firefox) ?
    I normally use firefox, but since IE is so widely used it seems to me a big flaw of this design (as i wanted to use it as a starting point for a project of mine)

Any advices?

Thank you!

Thanks

there's no point in making them not stack, but you could have a div over your layout at a fixed size. that should create a space for your layout to inhabit without creating a nuisance. the overflow might have to be hidden though...

and BTW, IE isnt very good at validly displaying things.

as well as, POST DD QUESTIONS IN THE DD SCRIPTS SECTION!!!!
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa
    Come back once it validates: HTML, CSS, JS.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The stacking basically only occurs when you've resized the window small enough width wise that the entire liquid column collapses. From my testing this actually occurs in both IE6 and Firefox 2. It shouldn't be an issue though, as this is how liquid CSS columns behave in general. You could increase the width of the liquid column (by decreasing the widths of the fixed columns) to minimize the chance of stacking.

p.s: It's generally OK to post questions regarding the CSS library in either the CSS or DD scripts section.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You're referring to "float drop." The only "solutions" are to a) enclose the columns in a fixed-width element which will always be large enough to accommodate the content, or b) make sure the content is never wider than the window width. Usually it's said that if float drop doesn't occur before the window is a certain width (I usually choose 640px, for the smallest commonly-used resolution these days), it's acceptable.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Thanks to all for replies. Now it's clearer.

About the post, I'm new and I've choosen this forum as i tought it was HTML/CSS related problem ... I'll pay more attention next time