Thread: A Big Ugly Confused Question

Thanks

Exclamation A Big Ugly Confused Question

DISCLAIMER:
    I've never worked at all with databases, and I'm more of a graphic designer than a programmer. I'd really appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

--

Making a website for some friends with an art gallery. Click here for a rough idea of how we want to lay it out.

Basically I need a calendar where different dates will be linked to pages with the event that takes place that day. Those pages will load in an iframe.

Here's where it gets tricky. I need to build an upload form of some sort, for the client, where they will enter in events: a date, a title, a description, and images. Then the form will update the calandar, creating the link, and dropping the event info into some kind of template that will load in the iframe.

The calendar should allow visitors to the website to browse backwards and forwards to past and upcoming events. And I guess there will also need to be some kind of edit form so the client can go back and add/change/subtract content from a given event.

PLEASE HELP.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks

PHP. Lots of PHP.

There are lots of things you can do with it.

It can handle form uploads.

It can even (though the "GD library" [of functions]) manipulate images (like to create a thumbnail, or even add text, draw, etc. It's complex, but something like creating thumbnails, it's nice.

It will also communicate with a database well.

So... yes. Look into PHP.

http://php-mysql-tutorial.com
    Good tutorial about database/php integration.
    http://php.net
    Official support site. Helpful, but a bit techincal. Great reference for each function. That's the best feature. Do a search fo something like "echo" and it will give you all the information about that function. (echo is the command to output text as html to the page. You'll use it a lot.)
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Other option would be to take the file from the form and slap it into a directory using the PHP file handling functions, I think you can do this with ASP aswell :S dont hold me on that though :S