Thread: Javascript Tracker

Thanks

Default Javascript Tracker

I am gonna let people use a script of mine but I want to know what websites are using it. Is there an javascript when put on a site it will send a message back with the URL of the site using it? Or it send information back to some PHP, Javascript, or whatever file that will make a list of all the URL's that the tracker Javascript is installed on?

Thanks

Using PHP, not JavaScript.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

Nope. Not at all.

Not even PHP.

You could, theoretically, use PHP to send an email to you every time the script is run. You could also try some strange coding with javascript, perhaps with ajax, but that seems unlikely to work.

However, there is a big problem. If you give someone a script, they could just remove the code.

I'm not sure on your intentions for tracking your script, but if it's to prevent misuse, then they can just get around it by removing the code that sends you a message. If you're just curious, then perhaps doing that in PHP would work... but it's complex, and would be a pain to deal with. For one, each time the script was run, it would email. Things like that.

Also, if you're just curious, then you might want to just put "please tell me if you're using this on your site" on the download page.

The only other answer I can think of is to use google to search for something specific to your script. Since, however, it is javascript, google won't cache that. I mention it on the offchance that there is some unique content in it (html) that you could search for.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

You could make it so it writes a log file onto your FTP, and updating it every time the user uses your scripts. But as djr33 said, it's going to be a lot of work.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tech_support View Post
    You could make it so it writes a log file onto your FTP, and updating it every time the user uses your scripts. But as djr33 said, it's going to be a lot of work.
    But is it possible?

Im doing it for a charity script and i want to know who runs the script. PHP, Javascript, w/e works.

Thanks

I too think using Ajax you can accomplish that but in your server there should be something which will be running that listens connections from the HTTP requests initiated by the Ajax script and can maintain some kind of logs based on the request.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by codeexploiter View Post
    I too think using Ajax you can accomplish that but in your server there should be something which will be running that listens connections from the HTTP requests initiated by the Ajax script and can maintain some kind of logs based on the request.
    How can you do that? any script you know of?