Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does FF Support Xml

Thanks

Default Does FF Support Xml

BIG PROBLEM here, i use XML in a couple of places on my site (soon to be more), just for neatness sake, it will not show in FF, all i get are the table heads, which don't come from the XML file, the code works great in IE, but i have yet to find any work around for FF, in a previous thread i was involved in, the matter came up the FF does not support XML, i find this hard to believe. any response would be great, i don't need to get this solved, it's just a lame-ass personal webpage, but i would like to get it solved, as i will eventually be doing webdesign in some form as a business, and wanna get as much experience in cross browser design as possible

PS. totally off topic, thought i'd kill to birds with one post, FF doesnt like ActiveX as we all know, yet i have seen embeded video (windows media) play in FF, when i 'click here to install plugin' it says there is no plugin, the embeded video im refering to played in FF on a PC at work, but won't play at home, whats goin on
    Last edited by the-disturbed; 10-21-2006 at 02:42 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Saying that Firefox doesn't support XML is a very broad statement. It certainly supports several applications of XML (XHTML, RSS, ...); if you want us to be able to identify your problem, you'll have to specify exactly what you were trying to do with XML. XML is just a data format; it doesn't "do" anything by itself.
    FF doesnt like ActiveX as we all know, yet i have seen embeded video (windows media) play in FF, when i 'click here to install plugin' it says there is no plugin, the embeded video im refering to played in FF on a PC at work, but won't play at home
    It's probably using the Windows Media Player plugin (or mplayerplug-in if you're on *nix). Do the machines run the same operating system? Do they have the same version of mplayerplug-in or the WMP plugin? Is one 64-bit?
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the-disturbed
    BIG PROBLEM here, i use XML in a couple of places on my site (soon to be more), ...
    To do what, exactly?

... in a previous thread i was involved in, the matter came up the FF does not support XML, i find this hard to believe.
    It would seem that you didn't finish reading that thread.

Firefox does feature an XML processor, and it does support XSLT. However, client-side XSLT should not be used on the Web. There are far too many user agents that don't support it. If you want to use XML to store data and then include that data in a document, perform the transformation on the server and return only HTML to the client.

Mike

Thanks

Are you talking about XML data Islands(I think you are)? If you are, then Firefox does not support them. Why? Well, Microsoft made this feature up. It is not standardised anywhere.

Thanks

i wasn't very clear, i ment doesn't support displaying XML in a table.

Are you talking about XML data Islands(I think you are)? If you are, then Firefox does not support them. Why? Well, Microsoft made this feature up. It is not standardised anywhere.
    that's kinda lame, it's just a table that draws data from an external xml file, am i correct in assuming that alot of people use this to display large amounts of data, without clogging up there html code, if i'm wrong, what "cross browser" method is there (preferably without using databases, i dont wanna have to get into that unless i have to??

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Anything done server-side is cross-browser, and that is the common method of pulling in data from an external file. I've never seen this "XML Data Islands" thing done before.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Convert the XML, on the server side to html.
    Twey:
    http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_data_island.asp

Thanks

got a link on how to change it on the server side?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hm, so it basically works its way up the document tree from the <span> looking for a <td> that it can duplicate? Ugly.

A good idea, but badly implemented.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    A good idea, but badly implemented.
    Sort of like all of Microsofts ideas.