Advanced Search

Thread: reccomended php programs?

Thanks

Default reccomended php programs?

im just getting started into developing php and i wanted to know about any programs used in developing. or is using notepad a better option?

*EDIT*
    oh, and any beginner help is more than welcome since i need to try learning all this as best i can

Thanks

Notepad is fine. Don't use any word-processors though, they don't use stand ASCII coding. I've never really heard any programs to help you make PHP. PHP is simply used with html to make interactive pages.
    - Mike

Thanks

aah, ive tried some of what i found in a tutorial and im trying to see what it does, but when i try to open it via IE, nothing happens.

PHP Code:
    <html>
     <head>
      <title>PHP Test</title>
     </head>
     <body>
     <?php echo '<p>Hello World</p>'?> 
     </body>
    </html>
    im just trying to see what that does but im not sure how to view the tests im doing

Thanks

You can't just open php pages stored on your computer with a browser.
    PHP is a server-side scripting language, it needs to be processed by the server (PHP interpreter actually).

You can upload your file to some hosting service to test it or you can install a server (Apache, Abyss ...) and PHP on your PC and then test your files locally.

Thanks

alright, i'll try getting my hands on those and just work off the manual i found. thanks a bunch you two~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mburt
    I've never really heard any programs to help you make PHP. PHP is simply used with html to make interactive pages.
    PHP can be used for much more than "interactive pages". And yes there are programs designed just for PHP. In fact there is a whole site dedicated to reviewing them.
    Personally, I use Notepad++(though it isn't specific to PHP) to code everything, then I use Apache with PHP 5 to test it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mburt
    I've never really heard any programs to help you make PHP.
    Depends what you mean by "help". There are many editors that provide syntax highlighting, though all of the ones I've seen are a little behind and don't recognise PHP 5 properly. Hopefully, Zend Studio will be more up-to-date.

PHP is simply used with html to make interactive pages.
    PHP can do more than just that, generating anything from scripts and style sheets, to images and Flash. It can also be used to write interactive command line scripts.

Mike

In case you weren't aware, Zend (Zeev Suraski and Andi Gutmans) is the engine used to run PHP byte code.

Sorry Brady: didn't recheck the thread before posting.

Thanks

If you are finding it difficult to run Apache in your server manually you can go for xampp. XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. You can download it freely from here