Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another gmail feature..

Thanks

Default Another gmail feature..

Hi all,
    well, when there is an unanswered question there is only one place i come to..
    This time I wonder about the "attach file" link in gmail.

It is interesting since clicking this link opens a hidden browse dialog box.

Basically, IE does not lets you set a value for file input field, and also does not allows you to initiate an "onclick();" event on it. It is a security matter.
    If you try to do it and submit a form, the focus will be automatically set on the file input until you PRESS YOURSELF the browse button and select the file yourself.

Gmail comes over it. It lets you initiate the browse dialog from another link and then submit the form.

How do they do it?

btw: is it possible to change the label on the brose button from "browse.." to something else?

Thanks

Look at the following code

when pressing the "aaa" button it opens the browse dialog and sets the value of the real file field. but when the submit is pressed, it clears the file field and sets the focus on it. the second "File_2" field works fine.

So how does google do this? They lets you open the browse screen from a link and the explorer handles it just fine!

<form name="form" action="?action=save" method="post" encType="multipart/form-data">

<input name="File_1" type="file" >

<input name="file" type="text">

<input name="Submit" type="submit" class="button" value="aaa" onClick="document.form.File_1.click(); document.form.file.value=document.form.File_1.value; return false;">

<input name="submit" type="submit" class="button" value="Upload" onclick='document.form.File_1.disabled=true;'>

<input name="File_2" type="file" >

</form>

Thanks

gmail is insane. They have a chat built into it. And a heck of a lot of other stuff.
    Have you even seen the source? There's nothing to it. It's a blank page.... just calling, with ajax, a heck of a lot of other pages.
    Crazy.
    Sorry, but not sure about this.
    Maybe they just throw the focus to the browse button and fake the enter key?
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djr33
    gmail is insane. They have a chat built into it. And a heck of a lot of other stuff.
    Have you even seen the source? There's nothing to it. It's a blank page.... just calling, with ajax, a heck of a lot of other pages.
    Crazy.
    Sorry, but not sure about this.
    Maybe they just throw the focus to the browse button and fake the enter key?
    Competition, Competition, Competition. G-Mail vs. Windows Live Mail
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

Ew. Windows. Windows Live. It's like hotmail? Meh.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

Heh. A whole 2gb. That's what gmail started with. And now they're nearing 3.

windows is stupid. Probably IE only as well. Heh.

Thanks

No, now it's FireFox compatiable (after 2 months!)

Thanks

Forgot to mention: Invitation only. LOL

Thanks

I'm surprised.
    Not bad, considering.