Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite books?

Thanks

Default Favorite books?

So i'm going to try to get into web programming heavily, and want to know if you guys have any suggests for books I should get. I want to learn Javascript mainly, but also ASP, PHP, and mySQL. I have a very strong background in VB, a strong background in C++, and a bit of Java experience.

I have about $250 to spend, so if you could give me the name of some books, it'd be greatly appreciated. I'll just go to amazon and find them. Thanks a lot.

Thanks

Well, you have a LONG way to go! Don't get down though. It only took me about a month to get into the flow of JavaScript. I've been at it for a year now and I know alot, but I still have alot to learn. So try to put that into perspective. There's good online tutorials, you don't always have to go off spending large sums of money to learn how to program.
    Here's some JavaScript links:
    http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...e+Search&meta=
    http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_intro.asp
    http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/brid...-tutorial.html

JavaScript For Dummies is a nice little book to get people started with JavaScript. You don't have to know much about HTML either. I do suggest though, learning HTML before JavaScript. It'll help alot.

Hopefully this helps!
    - Mike

Thanks

Yeah, i know plenty of HTML too, forgot to add that.

I know I don't have to spend a lot of money on books, but I think books are much better as a reference than online tutorials. Especially since they go in depth of how things work. When I program, I need to know exactly how and why something is working, so I can apply it to other situations.

Online tutorials are always welcome, though =)

Thanks

So... why don't you at least try the online tutorials? I'm sure they could help.

By the way; do you know anything about JavaScript?
    - Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eclyps19
    Online tutorials are always welcome, though =)
    I definitely will! I didn't mean to sound like I didn't appreciate tutorials. They are very helpful. I just like to have offline references conveniently organized.

Again, thanks for the tuts

Thanks

I have done a very small amount of Javascript. Basically some mouseover events, functions, and some variable stuff. Nothing major.

I noticed that it's structured a lot like C++ though, so i think i may be able to catch on rather quickly.

Thanks

Like C++? I would've said something else but eh... we all have different tastes.
    Do you know what a for-loop is?
    - Mike

Thanks

lol yes, i know what a for-loop is. I've been doing C++ for about 4 years and VB for about 10.

A for-loop in C++ is almost exactly the same as a JavaScript for-loop, so that was easy enough to learn.

And whatta you mean "like C++?", from what i've seen it's A LOT like it, atleast on a basic level (haven't seen any advanced stuff lately)

Thanks

On the basic level, yes. But there's alot more complex stuff in C++ than there is in JavaScript... Well, at least for what your intentions are.

So what exactly are you looking for in a JavaScript book?
    - Mike

Thanks

Something that will walk me through the basics, explain what goes on, and give an example for each topic. For example, if they have a section on loops, I'll want a subsection for for-loops which includes what a for-loop is, how it works, and give an example of how it's used. There would be another subsection for each additional loop structure (while-loop, etc).

That would be my ideal book. But if there isn't anything like that available, just something that will start off fairly basic (new to javascript, but not for total programming beginners) and work up to the more advanced stuff.