Thread: Ssi - Php

Thanks

Default Ssi - Php

I am attempting to use SSI for the first time because iFrames are getting increasingly annoying but I have PHP in my pages.
    I have the following server information:
    System-wide defined Apache handler
    .cgi .pl cgi-script
    .php .php5 cgi-php5
    .php4 .php3 cgi-php4
    .shtml server-parsed
    I don't want to use php5 because I have been told it's not backward compatible so I used:
    AddHandler cgi-php4 .php
    Now the problem I have is with the SSI, when I try to make my .php pages have SSI enabled it changed my AddHandler from cgi-php4 to server-parsed. Is there any way to have both AddHandlers use .php or am I overlooking something?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure about your question, seems doubtful but, I'm no expert in that particular subject. However, I wonder a bit about your reservation in using PHP.

If you use no features that are PHP 5 specific, it will be backward compatible. Additionally, unless you are thinking of porting your code to another server, using PHP 5 is no problem. It is doubtful that your server will ever downgrade its PHP 5 support and server side code depends only upon the server for compatibility, not upon the user.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Ok this helps more than you know, I thought I couldn't use my php scripts if I used the php5 handler, thanks a lot, solved my problems

Edit: Well I just tried setting .php to the AddHandler server-parsed and nothing worked lol
    So now I'm back to the same question, how do I use SSI in .php pages. The only thing I want to use is this one line of code in a few places.
    Code:
    <!--#include file="yourfilename.txt" -->
    Or should I just forget about using SSI and use php includes? What is the difference anyways?
    Last edited by tacmig99; 09-23-2006 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well I just tried setting .php to the AddHandler server-parsed
    Why would you want to do that?
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 09-23-2006 at 11:24 PM.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Or should I just forget about using SSI and use php includes?
    Definitely the best course of action.
    What is the difference anyways?
    Effectively, nothing. PHP will do anything SSI can do, and a heck of a lot more too.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!