Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I admit it, I suck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shachi
    Learning flash doesn't mean you must know how to draw.
    But it must help. You can't do all that much with imported images... But then again, what do I know? As for the image, can you help at all?

Thanks

Did you even checked the website I mentioned?? There is something about making a character.

Thanks

Did you even read the post where I mentioned the computers have no sound? :P

The computers at my school not only suck, but they blow at the same time. So I'm stuck without being able to view videos...

Anyway, in your first response, you said it could be done by converting it into a symbol. Can I just work with it without converting it?
    Last edited by Aragoth; 09-22-2006 at 08:31 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Fade in and out is quite simple. After you import your image make it an MC. Position it in Frame one. Right click on the actual frame (in the timeline) and choose "create motion tween" (This assumes you have the backGround MC on it's own layer, as you should)

Now move down 20 frames (or what ever you choose). Insert another keyframe.

Once this is done go back to frame 1. click once on the image MC and look at the properties panel. You will see an option for color. Select "Alpha" from the drop down menu and set it to 1 (NEVER set to 0 or 100 ) 1 is as invisible as 0 and you wont run into jumpy images or the like as you will if you used the extremes.

You should be done, and can test the movie. If it stays invisible, then go to frame 20 and check the alpha level. Set it to 99 there.

Drawing comes with practice, and with patience. Start by tracing. You will need to understand the ideas behind vector graphics, and lines/fills. They can make amazing effects that pixel grpahics only dream of, but you will need to learn what they can't do first. It is the hardest learning process in Flash by far.

My very first attempt at drawing was this game

That was one year ago, and my first ever Flash game. After a couple books, a few tutorials and about 90,000+ lines of code I have gone to this

Although my game mechanics aren't all they should be for this game, my graphics have improved quite a bit.

I have other private games that are way more detailed and use 7 - 15 AS pages for the game engines. These are truly my games, and the ones I have here and on that site are the "quick and dirty" games I build for the players.

That last link is a game I built for a contest winner in one of my forums. Took me about 6 hours. Nowadays I spend most of my time in Flash doing projects for clients where I am building program applications, not games. Although I still go back and build a good shoot em up or mystery game every now and then.

I am working on an RPG (who in Flash doesn't try that once?) and I am hoping to have it done by Christmas 2007!!

If you really want to learn to draw, and have the patience for it I can give you some links to follow and try out.
    {CWoT - Riddle } {OSTU - Psycho} {Invasion - Team}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @Negative_Chaos
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

MC = Movie Clip by the way.

I insist you start with basic vector program first( like inkscape or sodipodi). And when you know a little more about vectors and how to handle them, you can then move to character animation and design.

Only a suggestion though.

Thanks

Alright... the fade in works fantastic. Thanks a lot. More questions, though. I have created a button, and I want to be able to see it in action. How would I accomplish this? And perhaps, more importantly, I wnat an image to flash a couple of times on the screen, then to appear extremely small and create the illusion that it is moving closer by expanding it. I know that this (the motion part at the end) should be possible, but I can't seem to make it work... Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Aragoth; 09-26-2006 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't know what you mean by you want to see your button in action?

For the image thing, there are many ways to accomplish this. The best way would probably be using action script, but I honestly don't think you are ready for that, and I don't want to confuse you by giving you code snippets to try, at least without seeing your file to kow exactly what would be needed.

The other way is a bit easier, and is all in frame by frame animation.

The flashing:

Start with 2 new layers. name them "flashing" and "expanding"

In the flashing layer place your image in a keyframe, on the stage where you want it to appear. Move down a couple of frames on the layer and insert another keyframe. Frame 5 should be good. On frame 6 insert a BLANK keyframe. Move down to about frame 10 and insert another blank keyframe. Go back to frame 1 and click and hold on frame one, drag to frame 5 (this will highlight all 5 frames) right click on any of them and select "copy frames", then right click on frame 10 and select "paste frames". Go back to frame 10 and click and hold on frame 10, drag to frame 15 (this will highlight all 5 frames) right click on any of them and select "copy frames", then right click on frame 16 and select "paste frames".

These 20 frames will constitute two blinks. Continue for as many blinks as you want. End with a copy of frame 1, pasted at the end of your blinking.

To "expand":

Find the last frame in the "flashing" layer in which the image is visible (you should end with the image visible, not invisible) So using the above I will assume 2 blinks, last visible on frame 21.

Insert a keyframe on frame 21 of the "expanding" layer. Place your image on stage EXACTLY over the image on frame 21 of the "flashing" layer. So in essence therewill be 2 images there, but it will appear as one. Select the Free Transform Tool and click once on the image (in the "expanding" layer) make it as small as you want it too (or leave it if it is already the small size you want to begin with.) Right click on the frame in the "expanding layer" and select "create motion tween"

move down how ever many frames you want to take up making the image larger. If you run at 30 FPS every 30 frames will be just about one second. Assuming you want this to take 1 second to "grow" insert a keyframe on the "expanding" layer at frame 51. Again using the Free Transform Tool, select the image and make it as large as you want it.

Test your movie.

PHP Code:
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

What is the point of a button? From my crappy understanding, its to change on mouseover and when clicked...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Buttons are simply used for user-interface. Nothing more. There isn't anything a button can do that you can NOT do with AS. Except using actionscript *almost* takes interactivity away from the end-user.

A button is just something for the user to click on.
    PHP Code:
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

Can the button be created as a link, or perhaps a psuedo link to initiate another animation or event in the Flash?