Advanced Search

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [DHTML] Multi-level Effect Menu

Thanks

Default [DHTML] Multi-level Effect Menu

1) CODE TITLE: Multi-level Effect Menu

2) AUTHOR NAME/NOTES:Brady Mulhollem

3) DESCRIPTION: A horizontal/vertical menu that features many options. More on the demo page.

4) URL TO CODE: Demo and description are here.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,126 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

In Opera 9.01 several of the effects cause the flyout to disappear and/or redraw when the mouse traverses from the trigger to the flyout. This is generally fixed by having some kind of delay onmouseout of the trigger before the flyout disappears. However, if you already have that, it probably has to do with Opera not recognizing that the mouse is over the flyout due to some style property applied to the flyout for a given effect.

Particularly bad were the two blind wipes for the horizontal menu. It also appears as though the border (or what looks like the border) of the trigger isn't considered as a part of the trigger and flyout for the purposes of determining if the mouse is still over one or the other of them.

A very ambitious menu. Looks like it shouldn't be too hard to either fix these items or disable them where they may cause problems.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I agree with John. The script looks like it has a lot of potential, but as is, it's quite rough around the edges. For example, the submenus are not completely aligned to the triggering menu item, meaning you have to carefully move your mouse over to the submenu, or it will disappear on you. The way the submenus appear is just very jittery it feels.

Please keep us posted on further developments on this menu. It definitely has a lot of potential, with a better interface, and more importantly, improved submenu behavior.

Thanks

well. I updated it based on what you both said. The border is only 1px wide and I that is more of a browser issue so there was not fix for that. It was actualy intetional that they wouldn't line up so that was very easy to fix

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It definitely feels more "solid" now! I noticed with the multiple level examples (>2 levels), the sub menu don't automatically disappear when the mouse leaves the submenu. Is that intentional? I'd think most people would prefer that it did.

Thanks

There's an error on the horizontal-menu in FF though... I just tried it.
    - Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ddadmin
    I noticed with the multiple level examples (>2 levels), the sub menu don't automatically disappear when the mouse leaves the submenu. Is that intentional? I'd think most people would prefer that it did.
    I was unable to reproduce this. What browser did you notice it in? Also was it a particular effect?
    Quote Originally Posted by mburt
    There's an error on the horizontal-menu in FF though... I just tried it.
    What error? The only one I am aware of is the "double border". It is less an error than an annoyance.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blm126
    I was unable to reproduce this. What browser did you notice it in? Also was it a particular effect?
    I was using the latest version of Firefox (1.5x). I think I found the culprit- if the submenu appears above the textarea, moving the mouse out won't trigger the submenu to disappear.

Thanks

The menu was sort of "shaking" when I tried it.
    - Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mburt
    The menu was sort of "shaking" when I tried it.
    lol,read the page. That is one of the features!

As to the firefox/textarea problem. I have confirmed that this is only occuring in Firefox and it also happens in Firefox 2 beta 2. I plan to make a simple script to see if the problem is something I did or a firefox bug. I'm starting to think it is a firefox bug. However, a quick search of bugzilla didn't turn up anything.