Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jpg to gif?

Thanks

Question jpg to gif?

hi,
    Normally, gif's take up less space than jpg's.But when i tried to make gif out of jpg's.they took more space? I have kept my images on angelfire for my friends to see.but they find it difficult to open a image as even a single file is of almost 325kb.what should i do now?

Thanks

Hi sunny

Are your original jpegs at 72 dpi/PPI ?

Thanks

A 640*478 JPG at 72DPI should be around 50K... this would provide a suitable sized photo and still allow for Ok speed.

If you pics are around the 350K mark they are large photo's (aprox 1200x900). You could have these in a seperate directory and link the smaller photo to the larger one if the person viewing the site wants to see a bigger, higher quality image.
    Very Best Rgds, Simonf :cool:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunny
    Normally, gif's take up less space than jpg's.But when i tried to make gif out of jpg's.they took more space?
    GIF and PNG images are generally more space-efficient only if the image is relatively simple, with lots of blocks of uniform colour, or repeated sequences. Images that are more photographic in nature - that have many colours and a lot of fine detail - will compress better as a JPEG.

The JPEG format uses a lossy compression algorithm, where some data is lost to achieve better compression. The compression level can usually be adjusted when saving the image, and can often be set to around a third of the maximum before artifacts start becoming noticable. How you set the compression level will differ between programs, but can probably be found in the Save As dialogue, or image properties.

Mike

Thanks

yea mwinter is right GIF and PNG are better for small images, so for big images use JPEG

Thanks
    Blog Entries

GIF and PNG also offer variable compression levels.
    .alias.: Mike is almost always right. There's no point agreeing with him.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

lol ok i wont in future, i also noticed that GIF files can cope with clear backgrounds whereas JPEG can't.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes. It's not very relevant to the thread, but GIF can handle transparency. However, the way it does it is to define one colour out of the palette as "transparent." This means that you can have only pure transparency, and can't do things like translucent colours that you can with PNGs, which utilize an optional alpha channel (each pixel has an alpha value as well as red, green and blue). Unfortunately, IE has problems with alpha transparency.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

yea tell me about it it realy sux that IE can't handle it, its one of the worst problems with IE i think.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    GIF and PNG also offer variable compression levels.
    They certainly should be able to as, if I remember correctly, their compression algorithms feature parameterisation. However, I don't think it's as common to find them. Paint Shop Pro, the editor I use on the rare occasions that I do anything with graphics (I'm no artist so it really isn't my thing ), doesn't feature compression controls for either format.

.alias.: Mike is almost always right. There's no point agreeing with him.
    LMAO

Mike