Thread: Splash Page Help...

Thanks

Default Splash Page Help...

1) Script Title: Splash Page

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...amicsplash.htm

3) Describe problem:
    I was just wondering (since I'm completely new to Flash, and I suck at it), can you insert flash using this script, or should I just stick with a regular splash page?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

It probably can be done. However, if you are inexperienced as you say, best to stick with regular HTML and javascript until you are more familiar with ordinary uses of flash content.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aragoth
    ... should I just stick with a regular splash page?
    Don't use splash pages at all (Google results).

Mike
    Last edited by mwinter; 09-10-2006 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks

I read over a few of the articles and one point that a writer made was:

"This topic does not revolve around personal sites or other sites that aren't accountable -- movie sites, band sites, art sites, web logs, etc. I talk about sites where the focus is making money or disseminating information."

He went on to to begin the next paragraph with in my opinion. Too true. Everyone has an opinion. I have also found that experts in any field do not know everything; and are usually found to be wrong most of the time.

Thanks

Firstly, the search results I pointed to were weighted to a negative opinion as a result of the terms. The link has been edited to one that is completely neutral, though one can see that negative opinions still occupy the top results.

Quote Originally Posted by DouginBC
    [An author] went on to to begin the next paragraph with in my opinion. Too true. Everyone has an opinion.
    The reasons for why splash pages are a bad idea apply universally; they are not opinion. Any perceived benefit does not mitigate those other issues.

I have also found that experts in any field do not know everything; and are usually found to be wrong most of the time.
    How can an expert be found to be wrong most of the time?

Mike

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Experts can often be found to be wrong most of the time if they are, in fact, 'so called experts'.

Being technically correct isn't always enough for any particular situation. Sometimes it is far from adequate in the majority of cases dealing with a particular issue.

Using a splash page can be very good for some types of sites. However, the execution almost always is very important.

Understanding the issues involved and how to negotiate them appropriately in a specific situation can be daunting for the novice. The splash script here on Dynamic Drive could be improved greatly simply by hard coding the 'skip intro' link, for example.

The easiest thing to say is 'don't use splash pages'. I, in fact, tend to fall into that category but, do use one on an art sight I master. I continually review its appropriateness and continually seek new ways to mitigate its problems though. The site owner loves it, and feedback from visitors has been overwhelmingly positive.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1
    Using a splash page can be very good for some types of sites.
    I have never found a splash page that has made a site better, so based on how annoying I find them, and for the negative effects they have in general, I'm not going to agree with that statement unless someone presents an example that is beneficial.

I ... do use one on an art sight I master. ... and feedback from visitors has been overwhelmingly positive.
    That doesn't mean that visitor opinion is overwhelmingly positive, though. I wouldn't contact an author to express my opinion, but either skip it or simply leave. It isn't worth the effort because I'm certain it won't result in change.

Mike

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mwinter
    That doesn't mean that visitor opinion is overwhelmingly positive, though. I wouldn't contact an author to express my opinion, but either skip it or simply leave. It isn't worth the effort because I'm certain it won't result in change.
    That's pretty much an unassailable argument for which there is neither any meaningful supporting data nor means to contradict it as, all the positive feedback is neatly discounted. That last part (sentence) is pretty negative and you would never know if you don't do it.
    - John

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1
    That's pretty much an unassailable argument for which there is neither any meaningful supporting data nor means to contradict it as, all the positive feedback is neatly discounted.
    You account doesn't necessarily have any supporting data, either. How representative of all of the visitors is the feedback? Don't forget that it's not like market research where a person is confronted for opinion; these people offered theirs. How sure are you of the opinion of those visitors that didn't provide feedback? Of the feedback, how much was about the splash page itself? A positive response regarding the site in general does not necessarily include that page.

That last part (sentence) is pretty negative and you would never know if you don't do it.
    I've contacted broken e-commerce sites in the past, but never saw any change or received a response. Why should I expect any different for commenting on a splash page?

Mike

Thanks

Alright, I finally found time to come back, and I see a lot of disagreement on splash pages. Personally, I don't support them on the web, but this is just an assignment for school, so it does not bear on the lameness of splash pages. Its just supposed to wow the teacher... Thanks though...