Thread: Virtual: "Light a Memorial Candle" Possible?

Thanks

Question Virtual: "Light a Memorial Candle" Possible?

I'd like to create a page where people could light a virtual memorial candle for a deceased loved one. I have a memorial/tribute site that I want to do this on, and I am not sure if it can be done using HTML, or if it requires a more complicated language? If you go to http://jason-gauthier.memory-of.com/Candles.aspx you will understand what I am trying to say.

I want the same thing, only my own design, where I control the background color and the candle style, etc. I'm thinking of maybe a llight silver background that is stable, while a frosted white (yet somewhat see-through) table floats on top, with the candle and message. Could someone help me? Please? Thanks!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It can be done, but not with HTML. You'll need a server-side script to handle storage of lit candles.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    It can be done, but not with HTML. You'll need a server-side script to handle storage of lit candles.
    Ooookkkk.. Ummm... Can someone just create one for me and give me the code? LOL Thanks for your response.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

We probably can, but not without more information about your server We'll need to know:
    1) What server-side languages you have installed
    2) What database system you have installed, or
    3) What operating system you run.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Smile

Hi. The 'mad professor' is quite right. It is mainly a server-side issue. I had this exact problem when designing www.flowersineden.co.uk. In the end, the sites I design come complete with a guest book in which the 'infant/baby' memorials have the option to light a candle. This - guest book - I have written in PHP but it only uses a 'flat database' stored on the server cos it does not warrent somethig like MySql.
    Try these sites;
    http://www.hotscripts.com
    http://www.phpcafe.net

for PHP stuff.

Good luck.