Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Java Resources

Thanks

Doesn't it seem weird that the "GetRight" download manager program, is only 364kb?

http://www.getright.com/get.html

I think I may have clicked the wrong link..
    - Mike

Thanks

Nevermind. It downloads the rest, inside the download manager... That's clever
    - Mike

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Lol, it's not unusual
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

lol, I switched away from dialup about a month ago and I love it Also in a week my plan is getting changed to be even faster with a lot more bandwidth.
    It's strange that you use dialup with bandwidth limits though, every ISP I can think of has no limit for dialup. When I had dialup it has this very annoying feature to auto disconnect me if I idle too long, making it impossible to download large files even if I felt like starting the download and sleeping for half the day
    Oh and if you're using FireFox I remember there being a very good download accelerator but I can't remember the link

Thanks

The download manager I have now has an acceleration patch in it
    - Mike

Thanks
    Blog Entries

When I had dialup it has this very annoying feature to auto disconnect me if I idle too long, making it impossible to download large files even if I felt like starting the download and sleeping for half the day
    There are "finger" utilities that exist to "prod" the ISP every so often to keep your connection active.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mburt
    The download manager I have now has an acceleration patch in it
    It won't benefit dial-up. Segmented downloading is a means of breaking up a file into parts (segments), and requesting each part from a mirror. The idea is that by spreading the load across multiple servers, especially if those servers are busy, the user can achieve faster download speeds: a heavily taxed server may not be able to upload to the full capacity of a broadband connection. However, dial-up users aren't going to strain servers in the same sense. The overall download speed isn't likely to increase unless the server is running exceptionally poorly.

There is another issue: each new connection will have its own overhead. You don't just recieve 250KB, for example, when downloading a file that's listed as that size. The file is broken up into packets, each of which has extra data attached. Moreover, due to the nature of TCP as a reliable transport protocol, there's extra network traffic as the protocol notifies the sender of errors and acknowledges successful receipt.

Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    I presume it's the Java platform rather than the Java language to which it refers, which includes languages like Groovy as well.
    what's the difference between Java platform and Java language? doesnt they refer to the same thing?
    Please don't mind me. I am just posting a lot of nonsense.

Thanks

"doesn't they"

I think that's grammatically incorrect
    - Mike

Thanks

Red face

okies...my mistake
    don't they refer to the same thing?
    Last edited by jr_yeo; 08-24-2006 at 09:54 PM. Reason: tao lang pooh
    Please don't mind me. I am just posting a lot of nonsense.