Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Java Resources

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jr_yeo
    don't they refer to the same thing?
    No. See Java Platform and Java programming language at Wikipedia, though for comparing the two, Programming language might be a better overview.

You should only need to read the introductory paragraphs to get your answer.

Mike

Thanks

not much of a technie guy myself could somebody else explain it in layman's (layperson's) terms? tnx.
    Please don't mind me. I am just posting a lot of nonsense.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

what's the difference between Java platform and Java language? doesnt they refer to the same thing?
    Not at all. The standard Java compiler (javac) and most others compile Java down into bytecode; that is, a binary interpreted language. This is what gives Java its platform independance. The Java "virtual machine" then runs the bytecode as if it were a CPU, translating it into native code appropriate for the real platform. This doesn't have to be true, however; it is theoretically possible to write a compiler for the Java language that compiled directly native code.

On the other hand, we have languages like Groovy that compile down into Java bytecode (which can interoperate fully with Java bytecode compiled from the Java language). These languages aren't Java, but their output will run on the Java platform.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

tnx.

<edit>
    if others wont mind, i beg the question. can others post questions relating to JSP, JSF and other stuff like how to connect to Tomcat or how to use Ant, ANTLR, maven and jikes.
    Last edited by jr_yeo; 08-24-2006 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Of course, it's all Java related.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

which is all m really trying to say

[edit]
    trying is the keyword.