Advanced Search

Thread: HV Menu ActiveX Blocked

Thanks

Question HV Menu ActiveX Blocked

1) Script Title: HV Menu

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...menu/index.htm

3) Describe problem: Since a Microsoft Update in April this menu has been blocked by Internet Explorer. A message in an info bar at the top of the page is: To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content that could access your computer. Click here for options...
    This has scared a lot of customers away from my website. I am getting a lot less phone calls. I have removed the menu today but I would like to put it back because it was very good.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thank You.
    Ben:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 3,097 Posts
    Blog Entries

What version of IE are they using? I have live update (which means that I get all the most recent MS updates automatically) and the most recent full release version of IE (IE 6). I get no such warning unless I run the script (or any other) locally[1].

Either this is something new in MS's beta 7 browser (which not too many folks should be using, though many are, and which is not an update, but rather an adventuresome choice you can decline simply by not seeking it out) or, you are jumping to conclusions about why there has been a drop off in calls. Or, you or someone has installed active x controls to the site.

[1] That only happens locally, as a security measure. As far as IE is concerned, javascript is ActiveX. Click on the bar and click on allow and click on yes. Once your page is live, this will not happen. You can also give your page 'the mark of the web'. That way (in most cases) it will not display the security bar locally either. Put this right after your <html> tag like so:

Code:
    <html>
    <!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->
    <!-- this and above comment should be removed for live, non-demo use -->
    <head>
    But, navigating away from the page to another local page, or including another local page on it via a frame or an iframe can be problematical if said page does not also have 'the mark of the web' on it.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate