Thread: anylink css vertical menu position problem

Thanks

Default anylink css vertical menu position problem

1) Script Title:
    AnyLink CSS Vertical Menu

2) Script URL (on DD):
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...nylinkcss2.htm

3) Describe problem:
    i just found your site, and would like to thank you for these excellent scripts, i was able to create and style my dropdown menu using css with no problem (woot!), and i don't know anything about javascript...

my problem is this : if i view the page in a window the same size as the page, the submenu appears correctly positioned next to the main menu element. however, if i enlarge the window to full-screen, it appears in the center of the page, far from the main menu : unesthetic, and if you take to long to get to it, it disappears. if i reduce the window size, it appears on top of the main menu. this happens in firefox and ie.

perhaps this is a problem because the sub menu div uses absolute position, but my page is centered horizontally ? this is somewhat problematic already (but prettier) and i may have to abondon this anyway, so if it will resolve the problem... (this is why i hate full-page background images... but i didn't design this site). i tried to change the submenu div to position : relative, but this created a gap in my main menu the height of the submenu div.

any help would be greatly appreciated ; i am currently working on only this sample page to get all the bugs out so i can still make changes. is there a different sub-menu script that might work better ? don't hesitate to suggest...

you can see my sample page here :

http://cielunatic.free.fr/_newsite/page1jscript.htm

the submenu appears on the menu item "les Spectacles"

thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,195 Times in 3,157 Posts
    Blog Entries

You need to put this (red) outside of absolutely and relatively positioned containers like that, ex:

Code:
    <body>
    <div id="anylinkmenu1" class="anylinkcss">
    <a href="#" class="nav">Ariane(s)</a>
    <a href="#"  class="nav">J'ai pas sommeil</a>
    <a href="#" class="nav">Petites histoires en l'air...</a></div>
    <div id="wrapper">

<!--main content-->
    <div id="coldroite" scrolling="yes">

<!--subnav-->
    <div id="subnav" class="nav"><ul id="subnav">
    <li><a class="nav" href="#">ga . . .
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Default fixed !

hello John !

thanks very much for your help, the problem is resolved and the menu now works perfectly, whatever the size of the browser window. happy !
    thanks again and thanks to dd for their excellent scripts !

Audrey

Thanks

Default oh argh !!

hello again...

so i was really pleased with the whole menu setup until i noticed that when i scrolled down a page with a long central content zone, the anylink menu scrolled up with the page, so that if i tried to navigate to the next page without going back up to the top of the page, the menu was too far up to click on (or completely invisible).

i tried fixing this by adding a position : fixed to the menu div (since my main menu div is also position : fixed, thus the origin of the problem), and thought i was so clever... until just now i discovered that in ie (grrr), now my fixed position submenu appears in a gap *above* the main page, presumably since this is where it appears in the code. in firefox this is not a problem, since it understands the whole position: fixed idea.

is there any way to make this work in ie ? (man i hate non-compliant browsers !)

thanks in advance for your (futher) help, i appreciate it more than you can imagine !

here is a page where you can see the problem :

http://cielunatic.free.fr/_newsite/s...les/ariane.htm