Thread: Hide URLs in bottom left corner

Thanks

Default Hide URLs in bottom left corner

Hey people,

Just in the middle of coding a website, but I don't want people to be able to see the URLs in the bottom left corner (to do with the gallery section, but it aint really important why).

So, I saw in the HTML section of this forum someone looking for a simliar code. I tried it, but while it does display my text in the corner, if I put the mouse over a link, it displays the URL. So... basically, does anyone have a code so I can put my own text there that wont change to a URL when the mouse is over a link.

Thanks.

Thanks

Try this: (not foolproof):

Code:
    <a href="#" onmouseover="window.status='';return true">Mouseover Here</a>
    - Mike

Thanks

Thanks for that. It works up until I click on the pictures.

I'm using this gallery code: http://dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex...tbox/index.htm. The URL appears when the picture is opening. Is there a way to stop that?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

There's no way to totally hide the URL, no.
    Perhaps if you tell us why you want to do it, we can suggest an alternative solution.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

It's for a band and they don't want people taking their pictures. So, I thought I'd disable the right click using the No Right Click Script 3, disable the picture toolbar and hide the URLs.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

In that case, the alternative is copyright. The only way to stop people taking content you put into their hands is law. All these elaborate attempts to stop people taking the pictures will only serve to irritate genuine users. Anybody who wants to take your pictures will find it trivial to bypass them.

There are many threads on this topic, and the same conclusion is inevitably reached on every one. The problem is that in order to view the pictures, the user must have already downloaded them. Once they're on the user's computer, there is nothing you can do to stop the user doing whatever he/she will with them.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    In that case, the alternative is copyright. The only way to stop people taking content you put into their hands is law. All these elaborate attempts to stop people taking the pictures will only serve to irritate genuine users. Anybody who wants to take your pictures will find it trivial to bypass them.

There are many threads on this topic, and the same conclusion is inevitably reached on every one. The problem is that in order to view the pictures, the user must have already downloaded them. Once they're on the user's computer, there is nothing you can do to stop the user doing whatever he/she will with them.
    Ok. We'll, thanks for trying.

Thanks

Hello i was searching for such code since very long time,found this and it works in FF an IE
    Code:
    <SCRIPT language="JavaScript" title="HLSCRIPT">
    function hidestatus(){
    window.status=''
    return true
    }
    if (document.layers)
    document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEOVER | Event.MOUSEOUT)

document.onmouseover=hidestatus
    document.onmouseout=hidestatus
    </SCRIPT>

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glucarelli View Post
    <SCRIPT language="JavaScript" title="HLSCRIPT">
    The language attribute is deprecated; the type attribute is required. The title attribute is useless here.
    if (document.layers)
    document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEOVER | Event.MOUSEOUT)
    Wow, this is handy -- for Netscape 4...
    document.onmouseover=hidestatus
    document.onmouseout=hidestatus
    It would be a much better idea to do it only for links, and it only needs to be done onmouseover:
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    window.onload = function() {
      var hides = function() {
        window.status = "Done.";
        return true;
      };
      for(var i = 0, a = document.links; i < a.length; ++i)
        a[i].onmouseover = hides;
      a = null;
    };
    </script>
    However, this will still only work if the browser allows changing the status bar text (which pretty much all modern browsers except IE don't, by default), and of course there are always many other ways of obtaining the URL, rendering this whole exercise just as pointless as I said it was.
    Last edited by Twey; 12-10-2006 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Missed a semicolon.

Thanks

If your only purpose it that people cannot see the coding of your page, then it is pointless. Disable Javascript and you can see everything. Nothing on the net is copyless.

Read this thread to learn more.