Thread: Browser window resizing

Thanks

Question Browser window resizing

It seems that everytime I make a page and chnage the size of the browser the page content breaks down vertically. I can only view a page in maximized browser window. The thing is, that it also displays small horizontal scroll bar. I just want to know how do I make the page content stay the way it is and if the browser size is smaller than maximized then one would use scrollers to look around the page.

thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,204 Times in 3,166 Posts
    Blog Entries

So much depends upon the content of your page. Your idea isn't the general way most designers want their page though. Most folks seem to want no horizontal scroll bar with the content flowing down the page. To do what you seem to be after, just choose the width that you want. Make a division of that width and put everything else on the page inside it:

HTML Code:
    <body>
    <div stlye="width:780px;">

everything else goes here

</div>
    </body>
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1
    Most folks seem to want no horizontal scroll bar with the content flowing down the page.
    With good reason: all efficient page movement controls work vertically. The Page Up/Down keys, the mouse wheel, the Home and End keys, the spacebar (acts like Page Down), and the Up/Down cursor keys to some extent, only scroll vertically. The Left/Right cursor keys don't tend to scroll that quickly, and using the mouse with the scrollbar is a relative pain.

Mike

Thanks

I don't want horizontal scrollers. Its just that my page looks fine when browser window is maximized. But when you resize it for some reason manually with mouse the page content breaks down messing up the page. I just want to know how can I keep the page contents as they are even though browser window would be resized whenever visitor wants to do it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,204 Times in 3,166 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is virtually impossible. X amount of stuff will not fit in the same way into different amounts of space. The trick is to design your page so that it looks OK at different view port sizes. A web page isn't in a magazine, it is in a web browser. Although they share some basic qualities, these are two very different types of media. Two areas in which they differ is the fixed quality of a magazine page's dimensions and content vs. a web page's fluid nature in both these regards.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate