Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: [DHTML] Cross-Browser Snake

Thanks

moving significant portions of the game server-side
    Not really, seeings you only need to store two variables (name, and score). You could get the score from the JS code, simply write a variable in js and document.write it and for the name, just use a form.
    - Mike

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Nope. Remember that anything in JS is under the control of the user. There's nothing to stop a smart user bumping his/her score up by a couple of thousand points before it gets submitted. The only way to do it would be to actually submit each move to the server for evaluation, rather than relying on JS to calculate the score.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Wink too much difficult to do...

hello !
    when i look at what you said it looks to be too much difficult to do...
    i think i must give this idea up.
    thanks to your answers !
    i will probably come here sometimes to see if someone has succeed to do that.
    bye !

Thanks

In my solution I have a hidden form field that gets value from the JS. When the submit button is pressed, the value is sent to a php script.
    As someone said before, it is easy for a skilled user to fake his score with this solution, but I don't think this would be a big problem as if I see someone who has an extremely high score compared with the others, I can just delete it from the DB.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

And when that person realises this, s/he will simply set his/her score perhaps five points above the highest. You'd also be running the risk of deleting the score of someone who genuinely is an expert at Snake (and that's someone I'd hate to meet at a party ).
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    Nope. Remember that anything in JS is under the control of the user. There's nothing to stop a smart user bumping his/her score up by a couple of thousand points before it gets submitted. The only way to do it would be to actually submit each move to the server for evaluation, rather than relying on JS to calculate the score.
    Yes, that is probably the only perfect way, but you could, of course, calculate what the maximum possible score is and automatically reject scores over that, and you could also use timestamps to see if it is possible for the user to have gotten that high of a score. I actually thought of doing this before, but realized that if I could think up a way around every single check, then someone else could too

Thanks

i have just added the snake game to my website. i have put a scoreboard with it. i know others have said that people could fake their scores, but i cant see how they could do it with mine. well there probably is a way if you have the time and inclination, but i cant imagine many people knowing how to do it. i know i am tempting fate now!

i have also improved and made a few changes to the snake game. there are a few bugs which i have fixed, i improved the look of the game, plus i tidied up and reduced the javascript code.

the game is at www.hypedup.co.uk/games/snake.html

Thanks
    Blog Entries

i know others have said that people could fake their scores, but i cant see how they could do it with mine.
    By POSTing to snake.cgi with an arbitrary value in the cookie. There are some other values your server or various other scripts set in that cookie, too, but I didn't bother checking what they did; I just copied and pasted.
    Reproduce: get onto the high score list (or call formfields() manually), then use:
    Code:
    javascript:scoreFrame.document.cookie = scoreFrame.document.cookie.replace(/snake=\d+/, "snake=2222");
    ... in your browser's address bar. Enter a name and submit.