Thread: A linux question

Thanks

Default A linux question

Hi!
    Can someone, please, tell me a address link ....or something where i can learn how to protect my computer(or server) of the hackers. I use linux, as a operating sistem and into the /var/log/messages ....are writen the log messages (if someone want to connect to my computer using ssh). One of this messages was "Aug 8 08:05:02 linux sshd[5217]: Server listening on :: port 22" and i don't know what this means. I am a begginer in the linux thing ...and i want to learn how to protect better my computer. Thanks!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It means you have the SSH server running. SSH stands for Secure SHell, and is a way of securely accessing your computer from elsewhere. As with any service, if you don't use it, disable it. How you would do this depends on your distribution.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Hi

The message you got about server listening on port 22 is associated to the 22"TCP SSH Remote Login Protocol".

Port 22 used to run tcp protocol

As twey said it is very secure your server but if you still wants to have some additional things you can implement Network Intrusion Detection systems for getting a detailed information about the network transaction into/from your network.

Snort is a good suggestion as NIDS for your network.

Regards

Code Exploiter