Thread: Need assistance on Animated Window Opener

Thanks

Red face Need assistance on Animated Window Opener

1) Script Title: Animated Window Opener

2) Script URL (on DD):

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...imatedwin2.htm

3) Describe problem:

1. When the window is expanding in motion, I see the title bar saying " about blank.....",
    how do I take that out ?

2. When in motion, background is white, even the page that opens is in black, I tried #000000, in the body part of the script, but that didn't work.
    How do I make the bkg color to the color I want while window is "in motion" ?

3. Is this "XP-SP2" comparable ?, as I noticed many " Pop-up windows " do not work after XP-SP2, and wanted to make sure that it opens to anyone.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

This script is not, and no script of this type can ever be, universal. I have XP-SP2 and it works in it but, I'm sure I could configure my IE 6 browser not to allow it. Other browser will either not allow these sort of shenanigans or can be configured not to. The script is written to at least try to open a normal window in most of these cases.

You probably can control the color and title by making up a blank page with the desired title and background color and inserting its (path, if applicable and) name between the quotes here (highlighted red):

Code:
    var sizer = window.open("","","left=" + leftdist + ",top=" + topdist +","+ windowprops);
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Smile Thank you, John for your assistance.

Thank you, John for your assistance.

By the way, why is your title "Mad Professor " ? lol
    I hope I didn't make you mad by asking dumb question.

Back to business.....
    I managed to get rid of BLANK title, by creating plain black html, and referred the URL within the code area you showed me.
    And now it shows the URL while in motion, instead of
    "about blank...."title. I am very happy with that, thank you !

However; the color is still in white while it is in motion.
    Could this be simply IE's default color ?, while accessing to
    a designated destination, maybe ?

Appreciate your feed back.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

As far as I know, yes, white is the default (configurable only by the user) color while waiting for content. However, with a blank page, the wait shouldn't be all that long, except that since the browser is busy with the script, that could cause a longer wait. I would double check though that the page is indeed black when viewed separately and also use style, instead of the body tag to set the background color, ex:

HTML Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Whatever You Like</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    <style type="text/css">
    body {
    background-color:black;
    }
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>

</body>
    </html>
    "Mad Professor" is simply a title one 'earns' around here determined by the total number of posts one has made. It is somewhat of a tradition in forums such as these to make the 'high rollers' appear a bit over the top and, perhaps that is appropriate. I certainly have never been angry with you.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Question Thanks, John :)

Thanks again, John.

I don't know how to thank you for all your help.
    I am just happy for what I learned. The screen however; is
    still momentary white, but it is probably loading-time and not
    as visible as before.

Now, I tried this in O.E., meaning....sending the LINK to someone
    for the recipient to click on the link and Animated pop-up window
    will open to guide them...however; no luck on that.
    Does O.E. and I.E. take this same script differently ?
    And is there a code I can change for it to work via O.E., as well ?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You mean Outlook Express, I take it. Emailed links will load the user's default browser if the users email program is so configured. O.E., I believe, can be set to not allow this to happen and some default browsers will not execute this code even from a live web page. If neither of those is the problem and if the page does load but the effect doesn't happen or if nothing happens, then it could be that the link itself is not allowed to function properly in O.E. due to its javascript components, which I believe default security in O.E. prohibits.

What exactly did you send this person?
    - John

Thanks

Red face

John, Thanks for your assistance once again.

I have not sent anything to anyone yet, I was about to....
    but I got error message, yes, in Outlook Express.

See, there is a woking script and code on my web, works perfectly and window opens up to view the page.

I then copy the whole HTML, exactly like working web page, and paste that into Outlook Express " source ".

Preview, I can see everything how it should look, however;
    when I click on the link to open the window, I get error message and window will not open. I am now aware that this is after SP2, as it worked in SP1. (I tried in both.) I was wondering if there is a " special code " I can add to for it to work even with SP2. Such a shame that many of great and useful scripts like this one is no longer as great as it used to be....just because of Security update.

Also makes things harder and harder for us web creaters to know exactly which script to work with for the most people can see with no problem.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I haven't used O.E. for some time, I was using O.O. then I switched to Opera Mail. I'm thinking of going back to O.E. but the biggest reason why I may not is that even with all the security updates it isn't really all that secure. If you put this in your code right below the opening <html> tag:

Code:
    <!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->
    I know that it will overcome the sp2 security features regarding a local page with javascript on it launched in IE. I have no idea if it will work similarly in O.E. But, it is worth a try.
    - John