Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to learn PHP basics

Thanks

well if you are running microsoft os than it would be easier wouldn't it ?

Honestly I wouldnt know if its a cinch or not as I don't run Linux. logically though, wouldn't the majority of beginning coders be running microsoft or at best, mac osx. Keyword being beginners.

What "average" computer guy would run linux ? (as I know I'm opening myself up to debate on these assumptions but seriously, If bob and joe went down to the local computer store: no linux in site. )

Thanks
    Blog Entries

What "average" computer guy would run linux ?
    What "average" computer guy would be trying to set up a websever on his home PC?
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Hope you don't take this as a constant battle or anything, but in regards to your question:

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    What "average" computer guy would be trying to set up a websever on his home PC?
    a newcomer to PHP looking to "get his hands dirty" and as advised by forum replies sets out to setting up said webserver.

Come on OP back me up on this! Bet you a dollar you are running microsoft/osx aren't ya ?!

Thanks

had to toss my 2 cents in i basicly lurk on forums like these learning from others, also good place to look if you have a problem is the google groups. As for setting up a webserver on a home pc it's been my thought that in a testing enviroment (not ment for public by any means) its been alright to set one up, but for hosting it via the web from a personal pc isnt the best choice. granted you can setup a test forum and test it that way or even if its a stand alone php script do it that way just saves time uploading (which on slower connections would be a good thing)

Thanks

yeah exactly, Dakon. We are talking about for development purposes only.

And as for your other comments, well that's why I felt it important to share XAMPP. It's pretty much plug and play for us pc users. I am in no way promoting microsoft over linux, its just a fact that microsoft has market share on us "average" users.

Also regarding forums, and database-run sites: That's why I cant stop coding! I just found out how to run local mysql host. Xamp has a fully functional phpmyadmin. You can run mysql backend and test to your hearts content. Then when you're ready to go live, just import all tables to your live mysql. Done.

Haha, I guess I am on a mission or something. Because as a self proclaimed novice, xampp was pretty much heaven sent. If things are better etc, etc, I guess with time I will move up to that. But from a novice point of view. I like xampp.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Xamp has a fully functional phpmyadmin.
    I think phpMyAdmin should be banned :-\
    I never got the hang of MySQL until I stopped using that thing. I mean, I used it, but I never quite understood what it was I was doing, never got a "feel" for the language.

Definitely much better to use the CLI client, in my opinion.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

But from a novice point of view. I like xampp.
    Xampp is a good way to get running fast, but have you ever tried to do it yourself? It's not as hard as you think and it's a great learning experience.
    Definitely much better to use the CLI client, in my opinion.
    However, most hosts only provide PhpMyAdmin. So it's a necessary skill.But I have never used the CLI client ,and might take your recommendation and see if my MySQL skills get any better.