Thread: w3c validation script

Thanks

Default w3c validation script

I am building my site and am keen to get it fully w3c compliant. I have this error on lots of pages though. it seems to be upset by the use of the '&' in the scripting.

"Warning Line 73 column 95: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "type".

...ncart.com/cartinfo.asp?storeid=20417&type=1"></script>

An entity reference was found in the document, but there is no reference by that name defined. Often this is caused by misspelling the reference name, unencoded ampersands, or by leaving off the trailing semicolon"

can anyone shed light on this? many thanks in advance.
    Neil

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilkw
    "Warning Line 73 column 95: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "type".

...ncart.com/cartinfo.asp?storeid=20417&type=1"></script>

An entity reference was found in the document, but there is no reference by that name defined. Often this is caused by misspelling the reference name, unencoded ampersands, or by leaving off the trailing semicolon"

can anyone shed light on this? many thanks in advance.
    You might want to try reading the rest of the error message and reading the linked documents (though the former should be sufficient). The problem, and its solution, is explained very clearly.

Mike

Thanks

An entity is something like &nbsp; The validator is warning you that &type; doesn't exists. You can safely ignore this warning(I think).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blm126
    An entity is something like &nbsp; The validator is warning you that &type; doesn't exists. You can safely ignore this warning(I think).
    It's not a warning, it's an error and one that should be corrected. Hoping that browsers will error-correct unknown entities (or anything else for that matter) isn't the way to go about authoring for the Web.

Mike

Thanks

ok. I've wipped that script out and have had the w3c green light. Best edit the script and insert another time.

Cheers for your time/help.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The correct way to fix it was to replace & with &amp; in the URL.
    If you'd read the documentation to which the validator linked you, you'd have seen that...
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

yes thanks. I did get round to doing that .
    What threw me was the script was actually posted to me whilst configuring a e-commerce stock control feature, so I hoped that the error was on my part and not on the code I had been supplied. It turned out to be the latter.