Thread: IE6 and DOM methods

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default IE6 and DOM methods

I was given to understand that IE6 supported the DOM methods... however, when I tried to run a script I'd just written, it gave me:
    Code:
    Line: 23
    Char: 3
    Error: Not implemented
    Code: 0
    URL: http://192.168.0.102/demo.html
    Now, I was a little suspicious of this, since line 23 was a simple variable declaration and character 3 was halfway through the variable name. So, I commented it all out and entered the script line by line into IE's address bar. Sure enough, when I got to:
    Code:
    win0 = new TX.TFrame("Test");
    ... it threw exactly the same error, despite the fact that that line was commented out, so I figured it must be talking about this line in my JS file (even though it said it was in the HTML file):
    Code:
    this.container.appendChild(this.titleBar);
    Both this.container and this.titleBar are DIVs.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The IE6 "support" of the DOM is nothing more than a small "upgrade" to IE5's attempt at DOM compatability, which, as well know was virtually non existent.

You can see here what it can and can not do...

Seems to me (although, like most always I can be wrong) they are looking up the wrong attributes as to what most persons using DOM inspectors and classes are wanting to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by link above
    Like Netscape 6, IE6 is simply a more thorough implementation of the DOM standards.
    {CWoT - Riddle } {OSTU - Psycho} {Invasion - Team}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @Negative_Chaos
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Not helpful... according to this, the appendChild() method is supported. You can find a demo page here. It's not particularly elegant, and there are probably other bugs in it as well, as I just threw most of it together on a whim last night.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Looking over the script (which ALMOST works perfect in FF btw) I found a little tiny something that I have known IE6 not to like..

You are calling 3 js files... which IE doesn't seem to like to do, not with just js though. Once I did a file where I added 3 sounds to a page, and it worked perfect everywhere but IE6...

I haven't seen the js files... but is it possible to combine them into one?

As for the ALMOST mentioned above, as I know you are dying to know about.. in FF the close window and minimize butons work perfect but the maximize (middle) button does squat.

I do like the bg pic though
    {CWoT - Riddle } {OSTU - Psycho} {Invasion - Team}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @Negative_Chaos
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result