Advanced Search

Thread: copyright law

Thanks

Default copyright law

hello,

this is my first posting and im pretty excited.
    i just found that the dhtml slideshow code of a very popular photo and personal spaces site can be saved, and works fine when pulled offline. there is no copyright text on the html source for the slideshow viewer page at all.

does this mean that i can take the slideshow, dump the rest of the css, and use it for my own non-profit purposes?

my plain motive is to use a good slideshow viewer with my own css and own storage space, to create a personal non-profit site to showcase photographs.

there seems to be no website out there that provides such a service

cheers,
    jd

Thanks

the scripts on dd are free to use, if you give credit. There is usually crediting info.
    The credit usually is within the javascript source code, so it won't make your page look bad.
    Which script (link, please) are you talking about specifically?

as for the law in general, any use of code without permission is considered stealing, technically. (but, as above, you're welcome to use the code, with proper credit in the source code)
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

im talking about the slideshow viewer on multiply.com

Thanks

Ah, not here?

(there are slideshows available here to use... check them out)

I would know, then. Link to the page.

If it doesn't SAY you can use it, the lack of a copyright notification doesn't mean it's free use. It's implied to be copyrighted and protected unless you have permission, such as it saying "you can use this on your page as well".
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum