Thread: click and drag to scroll

Thanks

Default click and drag to scroll

does anyone know of a script where I can just insert an image in a box and then to move and see another part just by clicking and dragging?

Thanks

I don't get what you're asking.
    There are scripts with dragging on DD. just look.

You want a box that has a picture you can slide around on top of another picture?
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

like if you click in the top right corner of the box and drag to the ottom left, it will move the spot that you clicked on down to the left...
    to see an example (only example i know) go to http://www.runescape.com and in the left hand menu look for "world map" then let the map load

I cant give you an exact URL to the map because they have set it to where if you enter the url then it will just go to their home page, also displays "www.runescape.com" the whole time you are on the site

Thanks

plz help me someone?

Thanks

(Note that the "displays that you're on the homepage" is because of frames... basically placing one page inside another. That's usually the case when the URL doesn't change.)

I understand what you're asking now; it's also very similar to google maps. ( http://maps.google.com/ )

Google's script is (not surprisingly) a lot better than runescape's.

Google is also insanely cool and complex, so that might be a bit more than the average web designer would be able to do.

As for runescape's, it's a java applet, surrounded by javascript. java and javascript are very different... javascript is embedded in a web page and does stuff, while java is a real programming language like BASIC or C++ and the only reason it's on the page is because it is in an applet.
    Applets are basically little houses to host java (and other things you can put in a page).

I feel pretty safe in saying that, unless you understand every word of what I just said, it's likely that creating java applets might not be the best solution for you.

It's not that complex, and i'm actually surprised that they use Java for it, but I guess that's more consistant than javascript. Javascript might also make the system run low on memory, so the java helps with that.

Basically... you need to track mouse movement, move and image with it, as well as only show the image in a portion of the screen.
    You could try javascript, but if you want the easy answer, I think this is a case where flash would prove useful.

It's designed to be controlled by user input, not code, so it would probably work for you.

And, realize that what you want is pretty complex. It's not just something that you can ask "how do I do this", we can tell you in a post, and you'll have running that day, or even a week, or maybe a month.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

ok well thank you 4 ur help, im done on this thread