Advanced Search

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: creating downloadable links for my website.

Thanks

Exclamation creating downloadable links for my website.

Hi ya all,
    Regards to all at Dynamic Drive Forums. I have a simple question that probably has a simple answer that I dont know. Well, you see, I am in the process of creating a small business website & I need to create links that allow my customers to be able to download files (be it zip or just normal eg. doc or html). I had written to another forum asking the same thing, but I dont think the person knew what they were saying, as when I tested the link, nothing happened. I want to be able to create a downloadable link that when its clicked, will open up a box that gives you the option to open/ save/cancel. Please help someone. Im a beginner internet marketer & I have to know these things, as I plan to have a members area that requires certain files to be downloadable. Clear steps would be appreciated as I dont have that much understanding of the technical language. Thanking all in advance.
    PS. Am enjoying all these wonderful scripts at Dynamic Drive.
    Kind regards,
    Helen.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Search. This has been covered time and time again.

Oh, and offering files in one of the proprietary Microsoft DOC formats is not a good idea.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Im sorry but that doesnt help me twey. If someone could offer some proper help regarding my question of how to create downloadable links for my website, (please see post above) I would greatly appreciate. For your info twey, i did a search & the only post that came up was my original one.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Evidently not so, since I found:
    Quote Originally Posted by hello66
    I have no idea what the hell your talking about.
    How you would implement the advice found in that thread depends on what webserver package you are using.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Im not too sure what webserver package really means. Im probably using windows. I have the latest IE 5 & XP home. I dont know if that helps or not regarding creating a download link.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 3,097 Posts
    Blog Entries

A simple solution would be to make the files .zip files. The open/save dialogue on most systems is usually triggered when a link is to a file with a .zip extension is clicked. For other files, instructions on the page telling folks to right click the link and choose 'save as' will also work. Ultimately, whatever you do, the user's configuration will have the final say. Fortunately, most folks sophisticated enough to have configured their browsers to react in non-standard ways, also know how to make them behave as desired when different situations present themselves.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

latest IE 5
    er... 7?
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

There are different subversions of IE5 available.

Thanks

Right.

But why would someone want the newest version of an old version of a program?

If you don't want 7, 'cause it's new, try 6.

I guess, then again, I have heard that 5.5 is better than 6 in a couple ways.

Anyway, totally off topic and not relevant, really. Back to it; sorry.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Because IE>5 isn't available on Mac.