Thread: Fixed position problem in IE?

Thanks

Default Fixed position problem in IE?

Is there cross-browser code for fixed position? In IE 6.0 fixed position doesn't work so can anyone help?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

There are ways but since IE7 should be out shortly and should support this, I'd wait if at all possible. What exactly do you want to do?
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

fixed position of what? I know if you're talking about DIV's or Tables you can use the attribute Style="position: absolute;". This will sticky the div or table, or anything that you use it in, as long as the tag can use the style attribute. Or even use a CSS Class. Then on the object you can use the class="class1" or whatnot. But if you're talking about like with a fixed background, or something, use the "attachment: fixed;" style.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1
    There are ways but since IE7 should be out shortly [...]
    And of what import is that? IE7 will only be available to a fraction of Windows users, specifically WinXP SP2 and later. Far from everyone uses WinXP or later, and not all WinXP users have SP2. In short, there are going to be a very large number of IE6 (and earlier) remaining, and there will continue to be so for a long time to come.

Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, fixed position works in most other browsers. I'm not sure about how that will shake out, percentage-wise, across the installed base of browsers, in general, when IE7 is added to the mix but, it will cover most high end users (if you include those other browsers), if that's your target audience. That, among other reasons, is why I'd like to know what this is for. As I said, fixed position can be approximated (in most cases mimicked with pure css) in IE6 but, it depends to a certain extent upon the overall design of the page like, but not limited to, the extent of other css 'acrobatics' that might be employed. It has been some time since the OP originally posted and there has been no response to my request for more information so, I imagine Iiro has moved on, one way or another.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

nothing anymore, I've the problem solved now...