Annoying as it is to lose the button effect, removing the button styling does cure it and the menus work on the iPad and phone. iPad just doesn't seem to like the <button> </button> construct.
I have done some tinkering with the css which has mitigated the loss of the buttons a bit.
Thanks again John.
Though it's always possible that you will get a look that you prefer over what you had with the buttons that way, it should be possible to get goth the look and action that you had with the buttons without them, probably even better. With the buttons, items that had sub menus were wider than ones that didn't. They probably didn't have to be, and probably don't have to be without buttons either. You can get a different look to an a tag when it's depressed, by styling its :active preudo class as I noted before.
When I get some more time I will play around with that for you.
I got more time sooner than I thought and it was easier than I thought. It might need tweaking but it looks good in most browsers I have.
First backup your current srs.css file, just in case. I only changed the styles for the menu though.
Next, download and use this version (right click and 'Save As'):
The browser cache may need to be cleared and/or the page refreshed to see changes.
Wow !! Brilliant !! All I have adjusted is the widths of the menu entries.
Thank you very much for your time on this, it has solved the problem of keeping the look and feel of anylinkcssmenu without the drawbacks of that system when used for multiple levels.
I am now underway with the overhaul of the site which results in most of the pages going over to .php names so that I can run includes rather than using Dreamweaver's library functions. The only drawback with that is that invoking scripts from Dynamic Drive using a jquery call doesn't make the Dynamic Drive 'legal messages' readily visible in the source code, although they can be seen if the subsidiary file source is viewed. I have got round this by repeating the notices in a separate include file which makes them immediately visible to anyone viewing the source code in either of the .php files. I hope this way of doing it is acceptable. The results, so far, can be seen at:
Thank you again, John.
I'm not sure I understand your reasoning there. I don't. I will take your word for it. And what you've done is fine, and is all that's required to satisfy the part of Dynamic Drive's Terms of Service requiring that the script credits be plainly visible in the source code of the page.
One thing you might consider doing with these menus is making your own custom arrows. The white one seems OK, but it could be red, and the blue one might be better if it were yellow or green. Or the white one could be yellow and the blue one green. Whatever looks best to you.
The reason for including the notices as a separate file is to provide a workable solution to the thread http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/s...-Legal-Notices
The idea of making the arrows a different colour is one I'll have a look at.
Thank you again for the additional comments.