View RSS Feed

Web Design issues

1. Every PHP Tutorial Is Wrong

Many PHP tutorials begin with an introduction to the "basics" of the language: the <?php ?> tags, and usually the echo construct. For example, something like this:

PHP Code:
    <html>
    <head>
        <title>My First PHP Page</title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <?php

echo "Hello World!";

?>
    </body>
    </html>
    Before I blast this, I want to ...

Updated 11-03-2012 at 01:27 AM by traq

Categories
    PHP coding , Web Design issues
  2. Lightbox Bad, SlimBox Good

The title overstates the point. Both these scripts in their latest versions are pretty darn good as are many of the other Lightbox type scripts out there (see end for two others or Google Lightbox for more, though not all are as good as those mentioned here, many including the original Lightbox mentioned in the title of this blog entry are).

Here's the real story -

Some time ago Dynamic Drive's Lightbox by Lokesh Dhakar was added to the Dynamic Drive official scripts. ...

Updated 07-08-2014 at 04:50 PM by jscheuer1 (add update for more recent jQuery versions)

Categories
    DD Scripts Mods , Post a JavaScript , JavaScript & Ajax , Web Design issues
  3. Flash is NOT a cure-all

Over the years, as an intermittent Dynamic Drive Flash Guru, I have noticed a trend in utilizing Flash. This trend is one where Flash is being used in ways it probably shouldn't.

I am here to correct a few things. First of all, let's note that Flash is a tool. Flash, by its nature was developed to be a tool marketed for designers NOT developers. Flash is not an answer, it is not a web site building machine, it is not the be-all end-all of web design. It is a tool. Macromedia created ...
  4. "Operation Aborted" error in IE when inserting new elements into the DOM, and fix

The DOM lets you dynamically create and add elements to the page, such as the following, which creates an image on the fly and adds it to the end of the document:

Code:
    var img=document.createElement("img")
    img.setAttribute('src', 'dd.gif')
    document.body.appendChild(img)
    Ideally such an operation should be done after the document has loaded, though in most browsers, I noticed you can get away with it. In IE6 and IE7, however, things get a lot more ...

Updated 06-04-2009 at 12:45 AM by ddadmin

Categories
    Web Design issues
  5. IE8 beta and CSS/ JavaScript compatibility quick fix

IE8 has yet to formally launch, though the Beta and RC releases have been available for download for developers and those curious already. The advent of a new browser always brings up new issues with compatibility, and IE8 beta is no different. I've gotten quite a few emails lately regarding a DHTML script or CSS code not quite working properly in the new browser. A handful of scripts on DD fall into this group. I plan on eventually checking all scripts on DD for IE8 once it's officially released, ...

Updated 02-27-2009 at 05:39 AM by ddadmin

Categories
    Web Design issues
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12