View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Before You Start: the basics, for PHP in particular and for programming in general

I wanted to take a few moments to talk about some of "the basics" that are all-to-often glossed over...

A Matter of Style

In general, I find that most PHP programmers fall into one of three main programming styles:
    • procedural: a simple ordered set of instructions, nested if's/ else's, etc.
    • functional: functions are little code containers that you can call on when needed. You [usually] give them arguments, they [usually] return values to you.
    • object-oriented:

Updated 12-17-2012 at 02:49 AM by traq

Categories
    PHP coding
  2. Taking Control

Last week, I wrote about taking a "PHP-first" approach to programming - program first, output last. But what should go first in your program?

M-V-C
    You may have heard about something called "MVC" (Model-View-Controller). If not, here's your crash course:

Model

Your Model is all of the information needed/used by your program. [Hopefully], the Model is well-organized. Think of it in terms of note-taking: notes are easier to ...
  3. Every PHP Tutorial Is Wrong

Many PHP tutorials begin with an introduction to the "basics" of the language: the <?php ?> tags, and usually the echo construct. For example, something like this:

PHP Code:
    <html>
    <head>
        <title>My First PHP Page</title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <?php

echo "Hello World!";

?>
    </body>
    </html>
    Before I blast this, I want to ...

Updated 11-03-2012 at 01:27 AM by traq

Categories
    PHP coding , Web Design issues
  4. Putting text on top of a video

In July 2010 an enhancement to the YouTube video embed capability became available through a new embed code style. This style uses <iframe> and looks like this:
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VIDEO_ID?" frameborder="0"></iframe>

After VIDEO_ID? we can add the normal parameters, like this:
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VIDEO_ID?start=0&amp;autoplay=1&amp;rel=0&amp;showinfo=0&amp;autohide=0&amp;modestbranding=1&amp;vq=large"

Updated 10-14-2012 at 06:10 PM by molendijk

Categories
    JavaScript & Ajax , CSS related
  5. FaceScroll - my take

Adds altScrollTo method to scroll to coordinates, element, or keyword position in the scroller. Adds optional callback for real time updates of the scroller's position. Fixes behavior of bi-directional scrollers in IE 8 and less. Now compatible to and including IE 6. Adds automatic console logging of missing helper scripts in browsers with console logging. Instates selector element return value for normal jQuery chaining of methods. Alters the mouseout behavior for default style scrollers to avoid ...

Updated 06-18-2013 at 09:27 PM by jscheuer1 (additional options, details)

Categories
    DD Scripts Mods , Post a JavaScript
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast