PDA

View Full Version : Recording and playing sounds

Attila81
05-21-2006, 02:02 PM
is it possible to do that with javascript?
I have to record voice and other sounds from a website
i know it can be done with java, and applet java but i need to do that with simple javascript code to make it run on every recent browser without install any other programs or applications (like jvm or a client program).

Twey
05-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Impossible.

A plugin is the only way forward for you here. Java would be easiest, but I think Flash has support for audio and video input too.

Attila81
05-21-2006, 02:15 PM
also with php or similar? sorry if it isnt the php forum

Twey
05-21-2006, 02:36 PM
PHP cannot be executed in a web browser. If it could, it would require a plugin.

shachi
05-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Actually there is a way. Goto mozilla developer center and there are two projects running for Javascript1.5 called Rhino and spidermonkey. spidermonkey is javascript implementation with c where as Rhino is js implementation with java. As everyone knows necessity is the mother of inventions I think that your necessity will invent that system in javascript. You can download the source code but I am not sure my idea works.

Twey
05-21-2006, 03:16 PM
As much as I applaud your dedication to enticing in more developers, if something like this isn't in there already, it's probably for good reason.
Simply put: when would you ever need to use sound-recording functionality in a webpage? Heck, I don't even play sounds on my pages or those I visit. (X)HTML-embedded Javascript is intended to be a light-weight language -- more to add flexibility to HTML than anything else. I daresay libraries and bindings to do this kind of thing already exist; however, it's not likely to ever be implemented in a browser.
It is for the less-common scenarios, like this, that applets were invented.