PDA

View Full Version : DDS: Switch Menu FF1+ IE5+ Opr7+

Moonbeam
05-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Guidance - please.....I am a newbie building a personal website (no code writing skills) so the cut and paste scripts at DD are just great for me. I am able to test the website in the browser so I can see the outcome. I have learned a lot, but some stuff just really escapes me - so my questions will be very basic. If I have posted my questions in the wrong forum please re-direct me to the right forum. So here are my questions - ....

#1 - I love this Switch Menu FF1# IE5+ OPR7+ script - got it work and it looks great - however, I want to align the text left instead of center - but every time I do this - the text appears sort of cut off - any tips....
#2 - I also love the slide show scripts - I just don't know how to get the images to appear - I load them into my editors directory - I label the images .jpg and nothing, am I suppose to pre-load images so the scripts can run? Or is this because I am using the browser mode.....

#3 - When I want to add in an onload script - how do I word the text inside the brackets <body onLoad="dothis();dothat();dothird()"> I have reworded the text so many times, I have confused myself.

Ok, I know these are basics - but I any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks

ddadmin
05-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Warning: Please include a link to the DD script in question in your post (in this case: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/switchmenu.htm). See this thread (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6) for the proper posting format when asking a question.

To answer your questions:

1) Inside the CSS for the script (code of step 1), just change:

text-align:center;

to:

text-align:left;

2) That simply means the paths you've specified to the images inside the script is incorrect somehow. To be safe, just use absolute URLs to the images (ie: http://mysite.com/image/photo.gif).

3) Hmm I'm not sure what you mean by "word the text"?

Moonbeam
05-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the response. I wasn't sure anyone would respond to these novice questions that I had. I will use the correct format in the future when I have a question. I was able to get the alignment in place (so simple). I will use your suggestions on the photos and in the case of "text", I probably don't know what I mean. I want several javascripts to load and I the script that I was using said to change "do this" to what you want it to load - how would I word this.

ddadmin
05-15-2006, 09:24 AM
I gather basically you're asking how to get multiple JavaScripts that all access the BODY onload event to work? If so unfortunately in most cases, it's not as simple as just doing something like:

<body onload="dothis(); dothat()">

where dothis() and dothat() belong to the two scripts in question. The problem is that more commonly, the conflict goes beyond that, whereby variable and function names between the scripts also conflict. There really is no easy way to fix that unless you're proficient in JS.