PDA

View Full Version : CSS help for newbie

pernes
05-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Hi, I am new to css and am trying to create a site, however the pages appear to be fine in IE but in Firefox the middle content is not appearing in the centre but at the bottom of the page, top navigation bar breaks up in the middle.

Because of my lack of experience I am unable to see what I am doing wrong and when I change certain aspects this just seems to cause another problem.

Would anyone be willing to view my css and html if I sent it to them in an email?
I have tried looking at othersites for help but I am getting myself more confused

Thanks in advance

mwinter
05-09-2006, 04:51 PM
[...] the pages appear to be fine in IE [...]That sort of phrase tends to suggest that the author (you) was using IE to review the document as it was produced, rather than some other browser.

Don't use IE to test your implementation, at least not in the beginning. IE is broken. Unless you're familiar with its bugs (and most people won't remember them all off the top of their head's), you are likely to use them without knowing. When you then review the document in a better browser that lacks the same bugs, like Firefox or Opera, things will look broken.

Use a good browser during the initial stages of development, and check with IE later. You're still likely to have things to correct, but it will be easier to make those corrections this way.

Would anyone be willing to view my css and html if I sent it to them in an email?Probably not. However, you certainly may post a link so that we may review it online. If you can't do that, then post the code here (preferably removing as much as possible to leave only the interesting bits) wrapping the markup in [code][/code] or [html][/html] delimiters.

Mike

otaku
05-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Don't use IE to test your implementation...

I completely disagree with you. You should test at least with IE and Firefox and at the beginning and learn and test step by step instead of waiting at the end to debug everything and have an big headache.

mwinter
05-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Don't use IE to test your implementationI completely disagree with you.You seem to have misread what I wrote. Certainly, how you quoted from my post completely misrepresents my intentions.

My point is that basing an implementation around the behaviour of IE will lead to problems. A good browser should be the priority.

[...] instead of waiting at the end to debug everything and have an big headache.I used the word, 'later', did I not? I never suggested to wait until the end.

Mike