PDA

View Full Version : Removing the address bar ...

T-B0N3
05-05-2006, 08:23 AM
I know it's quite annoying for you guys to talk about this and I know I'm already starting to act as a control freak ... but ... there's a but. Is there any script to hide the actual address bar ? I think I saw some websites (like bank sites), where you login, a window pop-up with the content .. but there's no actual http field insight. Is that doable?
P.S: You don't want to answer, I can understand just delete the thread and I'll get the hint, no nothing involved ;)

djr33
05-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Popup functions (some of them anyway) support attributes when called such as "scrolling=no", etc.

You can control what shows up on the popup, yes.

You cannot, however, use this as security. It will be perfectly viewable by typing in the direct link (EASY to find) to your page into the address bar, and going there, rather than clicking your popup link.

This and a few other things you have asked are fine as hypothetical questions, but a REALLY REALLY bad idea to try.

All you do is make it SLIGHTLY harder for people to break your security.
And, for those who are just trying to use your site, you will make it harder to do so, more confusing and incompatible.

You will annoy and confuse those who are doing what they should be and do effectively nothing to stop those who would have gotten around the original (lack of) security.

Very little on the web is really secure, and, given enough interest, it CAN be gotten around. Your skills aren't, from what I've seen, advanced enough to do most of what you want, especially considering you want to
1. Allow access to all
but
2. Disallow particular things.

If, for example, you have an image you want to protect, theres a REALLY easy, foolproof way to not let anyone download that image.
DON'T give them any access.
But once you've given them even a bit of access, there is a way around it.

But... in answer to your question, just look up popup window functions. It's a default with most of them, if not all... I dunno. It should be in the documentation for whatever popup you're using now.

T-B0N3
05-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Thank you so much. I wasn't going to use it for security means, just for the design part of it. But I really appreciate the time you've taken to respond so far. Have a nice weekend. ;)

djr33
05-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Ok. If for design, it can be nice to just have a plain popup. I agree. Just use with moderation and it'll be fine.

jscheuer1
05-05-2006, 06:17 PM
These controlled pop ups are getting harder and harder, actually impossible already to code cross browser. With most browsers using tabbed browsing and IE7 soon to be released will have it too, there is no guarantee that your pop up will pop up even if allowed by the security settings, it may simply pop into a new tab. This is set by the user, both the security and the behavior, if allowed. If your major consideration is design impact (like popping up an enlarged image), use a pop up division or if another page needs to be loaded, an iframe or AJAX type thing. If I knew specifically what you wanted to pop up and why, I could be more specific about the alternative that would be best suited to your purpose.