PDA

View Full Version : HV menu

hooloovoo
11-30-2004, 10:06 PM
HV Menu (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/hvmenu/index.htm)

I am having trouble with the above script. Let me try to explain.

I have the script in a template, and I have many pages made from this template. Some of these pages are in folders, but the index page of the site is not. The problem I have is that the menu pushes down the page content only on the pages which are not in a folder. Those that are in a folder are just fine. Any clue as to why this is? Thankyou for your help. If something needs clarifying or more details, please tell me.

almarenan
12-01-2004, 04:58 AM
Ok, your problem seems the same as mine : your pages aren't on the same level on your site directory. I can bet that, if you put ALL of them on the root (same as the index), it'll work just fine.
The thing is, when you have to make a call to a page that is on another level (folder) of your site, it'll probably work fine just the once BUT when you'll try to make a call on another page wich is on another folder, you'll probably have an "Error 404" message.
What you (we) have to do to make it work is to make a call on something (a page) on the root level between those two calls.
In fact, the script work like this :
Call 1 to page X on folder Y. (onClick:'folderY/pageX.html')
Then you make :
Call 2 to page Z on folder W (onClick:'folderW/pageZ.html')
BUT, on the second call, what the script tries to do is to find folderW/pageZ.html INSIDE folderY... where it ain't.
For him, Call 2 has been changed to : onClick:'folderY/folderW/pageZ.html.
It's as if it kept a sort a "focus" on the last path used.
Writing onClick:'../folderW/pageZ.html' doesn't help (although it should).

I think it's a bug on the hvmenu script or "something that's not documented" ?!?!?

hooloovoo
12-01-2004, 08:07 PM
that's exactly it. I've already tried putting ../folder/page.html for the addresses, but then it doesn't work on the index page...etc. etc.

But the problem with my putting all the pages on the same level is that my site is pretty big, and I want to keep it organized. I was hoping there was another way before resorting to that.

almarenan
12-02-2004, 03:45 AM
Well, I'm facing the same situation - I'll have at least 3500 pages when all is completed - and, believe you me, I'm looking far and wide for any help.
I've even sent a mail to what I think is the developper of HV menu (yesterday) but so far, nothing...

hooloovoo
12-02-2004, 07:17 PM
if you hear anything, please let me know! This is driving me up the WALL!

almarenan
12-03-2004, 07:10 AM
See my "To ALL HV Menu Users" threads above, I think you'll have a solution there.

designgrrl
12-03-2004, 01:53 PM
I use All Web Menus from Likno and totally love it. http://www.likno.com/allwebmenusinfo.html

Most of my pages use this (http://www.designgrrl.com)

It is a tool that you create the menu in and then compile/export the .js doc. I've been very happy with their tech support and software update frequency.

almarenan
12-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Right,
It's not free though AND IT DON'T WORK ON MAC.