PDA

View Full Version : A graphics issue

T-B0N3
04-26-2006, 07:25 AM
I have this question which might be related to web graphics and coding in the same time. I have a friend who is building up a webpage and asked me if I can help him make a "music visualiser" for the page. Basicly what he wants is 5 lines bouncing up and down to the beat of the music on the site, just like in Winamp. It just has to be small and it has to go up and down (trebles and base) to the actual song line. Can that be created in actionscripting or anything. Thanks.

djr33
04-26-2006, 10:14 AM
ew. crazy.

you'd be insane to try to code that for your local computer.

you need to interpret the song (first get the file working right, second read the formatting, and third interpret what that junk means) then figure out how to make those numbers display scrolling pixels that vary as the music plays.

It's a challenge to get music to play on a site in a compatible way.

This is way above what I'd even try.

Not to be discouraging... but... just... wow.

If you can, that's awesome... but I don't think it's even close to possible.

MAYBE with java (or flash? does it have anything built into it?) but you'd still need to interpret the data, as said above.

Twey
04-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Yeah, he has a point. It's possible with Java, and it might be possible with Flash (I don't know Flash), but it's certainly going to be a lot of work.

T-B0N3
04-27-2006, 08:03 AM
Oki Poki ... another black on the list ... :(

djr33
04-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Sure.

The problem here isn't even the coding, but dealing with writing an engine for interpreting the format of a sound file.
A wav might not be too bad (midi might be better), 'cause it's uncompressed, but I can't imagine dealing with an mp3 or something. Ew! You'd have to write an inverse compressor (decompressor) then figure out what to do with the data.

This would be one heck of an interesting project... but just insane :D

Twey
04-27-2006, 11:18 AM
The problem here isn't even the coding, but dealing with writing an engine for interpreting the format of a sound file.
A wav might not be too bad (midi might be better), 'cause it's uncompressed, but I can't imagine dealing with an mp3 or something. Ew! You'd have to write an inverse compressor (decompressor) then figure out what to do with the data.Or use one that already exists -- I think there's one in the javax.sound package.

/EDIT: Yes, here we are: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/javax/sound/sampled/package-summary.html Supports WAVE, AIFF, AU, and SND out-of-the-box.

T-B0N3
04-27-2006, 12:28 PM
WOW ! That goes waaaaaaay over my inexisting coding skills ...
I'll try to see if it's possible somehow with action scripting ... if it's not I'll just drop the idea and get one of those standard hoping visualisers that have no real connection to the actual beat of the sound.

djr33
04-28-2006, 11:16 AM
uh? what?

link, please.

generally, you need to make your webpages lower rez compatible (the lowest acceptable rez is generally 800x600, so account for that).

Basically... don't make your page so wide.

Or center the image.

Or use a table/smaller table if you have one now.

Link? that's what'll determine it.

T-B0N3
04-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Never mind ... I thought it would be better not put that one there.
Anyone knowing a script so the user won't be able to add the page to favorites ?

djr33
04-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Anyone knowing a script so the user won't be able to add the page to favorites ?

What possible reason?

Use frames, maybe. That would hide the real location of the page.

And... no. There's no point.

The user can return using his history (or manually inserting into his favorites), or, worse come to worse, WRITE DOWN the address. Not hard.

If you're even thinking about that for security, come up with a new plan.

Use something else to make sure they can't return, like sessions with php or passwords, or something more secure than 'not letting them save the url in favorites'... which just won't work.

Heh. There ARE scripts TO add to favorites, though :p

T-B0N3
04-28-2006, 11:30 AM
:) I thought so .. But as I said before I cannot do anything about the actual pages as they are reports generated by a software in *.htm extension. Inserting php into 300 pages ... uhh ..that sounds nasty .. not to think about screwing up the way reports look and link.

djr33
04-28-2006, 11:33 AM
eh, whatever.

try frames... that's the easiest way to avoid the url being too noticable/added to favorites/etc.

T-B0N3
04-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Thank you

Brochures
04-28-2006, 09:31 PM
A music visualiser with 5 lines bouncing up and down to the beat of the music on the site, just like in Winamp? Men that would be alot of work, making sure that the beat synchronized with the music.

Twey
04-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Men that would be alot of work, making sure that the beat synchronized with the music.Actually, Java provides an event-driven interface for dealing with sound streams, so it'd be relatively easy.

T-B0N3
05-03-2006, 06:56 AM
I think a friend of mine has aquired a solution in Action Script. I will keep you guys posted with any relevant breakthrough.