PDA

View Full Version : Select option drop down

cblake843
04-22-2006, 07:54 AM
I am trying to do 2 things and getting nowhere. Any advice would be appreciated.

1- I have numerous texts to be inserted into a Select drop down option menu for links. However it is extremely long and will not wrap. I have tried everything i know to wrap it but it is cut off. I dont want the page scrolling to the right.

2- Changing the color of the menu , ie not just the background color. I want the arrow and all of it a different style.

Please help

Kase

Twey
04-22-2006, 12:59 PM
1- I have numerous texts to be inserted into a Select drop down option menu for links. However it is extremely long and will not wrap. I have tried everything i know to wrap it but it is cut off. I dont want the page scrolling to the right.Then use shorter text. <option> elements will not wrap.
2- Changing the color of the menu , ie not just the background color. I want the arrow and all of it a different style. You can try using the CSS:
select {
color: red;
background-color: black;
}However, that's far from reliable, since form elements tend to be handled by the underlying toolkit, and so cannot be affected by your code. It may work in a few browsers.

cblake843
04-24-2006, 11:55 AM
I was hoping for a more Javascript based answer. I cannot reduce the size of the text because of its content and i already know the HTML commands you gave me , looking for a script that allows the drop down box to be changed in appearance while at the same time allowing wrapping of text.

Kase

Twey
04-24-2006, 02:51 PM
I cannot reduce the size of the text because of its content and i already know the HTML commands you gave me , looking for a script that allows the drop down box to be changed in appearance while at the same time allowing wrapping of text.I repeat: <option> elements will not wrap. Why would you want a Javascript-based solution if the only thing approaching a solution that is possible is available in the far-more-widely-used CSS? A better idea is to avoid Javascript wherever possible. I gave no HTML, by the bye.

jscheuer1
04-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Can't be done using the select and option elements. You could construct script and/or markup (using divisions, spans, etc.) to present your content in the manner you desire but, the select and option elements do not have the flexibility you seem to require.