PDA

View Full Version : Preloaded Comic

r3dh4t
11-29-2004, 08:30 PM
-------------

Script: Preloaded Slide Show
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/preloadslide.htm

To a degree, this script is exactly what I have been searching for for about a week, however, I'm going to need to... 'mutate' it a bit (ha ha! That's a coding joke! Get it? No? Nevermind).
what I would LIKE this to do is have a self populating array of the images (.gifs and .pngs) construct instead of me having to put the image names in manually every time I put a new one in.
I bet that sounded confusing. What I'm trying to do is make this work for my sprite comic website, and, much like most online comics, I plan on updating the 'slide show' regularly. Thus, adjusting the begining array would be a pain after a while.

So what am I asking? How would I go about making the array at the begining of the script search for every file in a directory (or right under it), then assign it to it's numeric spot in the array.
Don't know if it will help, but the file names Always start with 'M' and then the number of the 'comic' (e.x. M1.png is the first strip of the comic and M10.gif is the tenth).

If I missed anything, please ask, as I plan on checking back on the forum, at least, daily.

-------------

cr3ative
11-30-2004, 02:10 PM
Would you like me to make you one of these?

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718

cr3ative

r3dh4t
11-30-2004, 06:02 PM
If you can find a way to adapt your idea into the preloaded slide show script, I would greatly appriciate the help.
I'm not sure why I'm having such a problem with this: I just can't seem to wrap my head around it.

Thank you, cr3ative :D

cr3ative
11-30-2004, 07:52 PM
I can only easily do that as a stand alone program which generates arrays - I can code VB pretty fast and troubleshoot anything quickly, but coding in other langages is a difficulty. Time restraints prevent me from doing so.

cr3ative

ddadmin
11-30-2004, 08:39 PM
Will the number of images always stay the same as well? This is required before you can dynamically populate the array with M1.gif, M2.gif... until Mx.gif

r3dh4t
12-01-2004, 11:20 AM
With a bit of daydreaming this morning I realized a preloaded code would be a terrible idea because of the sheer size the array would become. It wouldn't be unusual for my strips to reach anywhere from one hundred to two hundred images, making for impossible load times.

Instead, I need a navigator for each image. Crap.

Thanks for the help though guys.

:EDIT:
cr3ative, if you can still get your pregen script to me, I'd appriciate it. I think I can still salvage this project by stitching together two other scripts into this one. Mmm, how exciting :|

cr3ative
12-01-2004, 01:50 PM
:/ Tis a .exe program, nayt a script.
It creates arrays.
I'll post one soonish.

cr3ative

r3dh4t
12-06-2004, 12:15 PM
An exe that creates an array? What the heck is the output? A .txt file? :confused:

cr3ative
12-06-2004, 04:58 PM
It's a text box. Just like the one I'm replying to this thread in.

cr3ative
19 days till christmas