PDA

View Full Version : list from a webpage

pomai
04-03-2006, 03:34 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this, if not sorry.

I have a webpage that contains a list of peoples names, location and email address, is there a way for me to crawl that page and send the email address's to another page or to an address book?

djr33
04-03-2006, 08:27 AM
I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

Basically, you want to get the emails and store them somehow?

Well... you've got two options:

1. Good ol' fashioned cut 'n' paste. Have fun!

2. PHP*... figure out exactly how/where the emails are stored in the CODE of the page. then use php to get the file's text... probly 'getfilecontents()' and then go through, character by character, until it finds where the next 6 characters are "email:", or something like that. then it would store them to a variable, then output them for you... or even email them to you.
*there may be variations on method and language, but they'll all basically be the same...

Choosing option 2 sounds cool... but how many emails are you talking about?

I know a bit of php and wouldn't bother unless it was over at least like 500 or so. I mean... you'll really save time just doing it by hand. Coding something like that is hard if you haven't done it and time consuming even if you have.

Really, though... you could just cut/paste the entire page into something then use that to interpret it... be it PHP, C++ or whatever. Even Word (find/replace) might be of some help to you.

I dunno... be creative... and hopefully something above will help you.