PDA

View Full Version : Web Bowser on phone

benslayton
04-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Can anyone tell me how to make my website compatible to view on a web browser on a cell phone???

Twey
04-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Make sure it shrinks well, and provide alts for all the images you use. A good test is to use Lynx in a very small terminal window (20x20, say).

benslayton
04-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Can you explain a little bit more?

Twey
04-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Not really. Just make sure everything important will fit onto a small screen, and don't rely on images to get across the content. Keep it valid; other than that, just try it and use the Lynx test.

benslayton
04-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Ok Thanks.

benslayton
04-03-2006, 01:09 AM
what if i want to put a video into a website to be see on a phone. I know i have to use .3gp but will it play right with the page?

If Not how would i fix that?

djr33
04-03-2006, 01:41 AM
That's not a very good idea.
I know that my phone company charges insane amounts for downloads, and that other companies do the same. Unsuspecting browsers download a big file... and... ouch!

However, if you did do it, I'd be almost positive that it wouldn't work to embed the file into a page.

You'd just need to make it a download link... which I would assume would work.

But... remember, it needs to be SMALL!
I think the max that my phone supports is like 500k. Ew.

benslayton
04-03-2006, 02:32 AM
Well im using it for a youth group sunday school website. coming from a youth group with well over 250 i know a lot of them have unlimited browsing. but there is a lesser amount of people that a know that does not. But it is pretty big and I cant keep up with who has what on there cell phones.

And I have looked into into it. to be able to imbed it,

Originally Posted By: benslayton
I know i have to use .3gp

it has to be in .3gp format instead of ex.(.mp3, .mp4, .wmv, .wmp) you get the point.

djr33
04-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Well... alright... but... still. Don't embed. Browsers on phones are SO basic. It's like trying to get a normal computer to play a full quality movie (approx 5min/gb) in a browser window. Should it work? Sure! Will most users have problems? Of course!

.3gp is indeed the right format.

If your specific users have unlimited downloading, then sure. Go for it.

...why do you need it to be mobile phone compatible? I mean... seriously, these guys must have computers, and it would be so much easier.

Even if they DO have free unlimited downloading, it would take less time to just drive home and check there than it would to download videos.
Plus... you've got a space issue.
My phone (fairly nice one) has about 4mb space. Given the operating system, random files, a few downloads games... I've got maybe 500kb left.

Anyway... sounds like you've got plenty to go on.

good luck.