PDA

View Full Version : Smart Folding Menu Tree Script - too wide for me

bernd-symons
04-02-2006, 08:16 PM
I am trying to modify the Smart Folding Menu Tree Script (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/navigate1.htm) since my current JavaApplet is not satisfying.

For my narrow left frame the script spreads too wide when unfolded. I don't know anything about Javascript. Can anybody help me to get the tabs of the folder tree smaller?

As it is it shows:

Nested Example
........outer 1
........outer 2
........Nested
................nested 1
................nested 2
........outer 3
........outer 4

but I'd like it like this:

Nested Example
...outer 1
...outer 2
...Nested
......nested 1
......nested 2
...outer 3
...outer 4

Would this be possible? Thanks for hints!

Regards
Bernd

jscheuer1
04-02-2006, 09:04 PM
You can adjust the #foldinglist's left margin in the style section, substituting:

#foldinglist {
list-style-image:url(list.gif);
margin-left:-15px;
}

for:

#foldinglist{list-style-image:url(list.gif)}

The number 15 is how far to the left it will move in pixels. However, this may vary from browser to browser. If you need a custom setting for IE and a different one for all others, you can use this convention:

#foldinglist {
list-style-image:url(list.gif);
margin-left:-15px!important;
margin-left:-10px;
}

bernd-symons
04-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Great! You are definitivly not mad, professor! Thank you for quick response - I'll try it tomorrow!

bernd

bernd-symons
04-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Dear John (and other experts,too),

Today I followed your hint and after some tests I got the foldinglist acceptable with

#FOLDINGLIST
{list-style-image:url("list.gif");margin-left:+5px;}

I want to use maximum space. For that I don't take the folder-pics and it is now shown like the screenshot below.

Before I start to modify the links I have 2 more problems:

1) My tree will have 13 FOLDHEADER (5 of them expandable into 1 or 2 lower levels). If the user expands all folders it will be a very long tree pushing my newsticker far out of sight. I'd like to let expanded foldinglists close automatically when the next foldheader will be expanded. Is this possible or must I search for another script?

2) Though I tried your hint the script is not compatible with Mozilla Firefox which is standard for many visitors. In Firefox we see the foldheaders only - on click to expand all lower foldheaders are invisible.

http://www.kerala-discovery.de/pics/Tree.gif

jscheuer1
04-03-2006, 02:50 PM
This script works in FF1.5.0, please be more specific. Anyways, I came up, a while back, with this script that mimics the action of the smart fold script but, using modified code of the switch menu script it, might be better for you: