PDA

View Full Version : getting images to not refresh

cjkenning
03-31-2006, 10:41 AM
Hiya Everyone!

I'm currently building a site which is heavily built on images, on pages that are built up of layers. There is one particular image that is on every page, and is always in the same place.

When i browse between pages the image seems to reload or flash every time the page changes, which looks a bit rubbish. I know the image is cached by the browser, so in some browsers it won't happen (firefox, safari) but in IE it looks a bit poor.

So is there anyway the image can always stay displayed and not have to be refreshed in IE? It would make my site look a lot better!

Anyway thanks in advanse

Chrsitine x

Twey
03-31-2006, 11:20 AM
Other than putting it in a seperate frame, no.

cjkenning
03-31-2006, 12:17 PM
Oh, what would that do, and how would i go about it?

Twey
03-31-2006, 12:29 PM
Frames tutorial (http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_frames.asp)
There are disadvantages to using frames too, though. I wouldn't recommend taking them on for something as unimportant as this.

jscheuer1
03-31-2006, 03:20 PM
One thing you should double check, just to be sure is:

Is there one and only one copy of the image on the server?

cjkenning
03-31-2006, 03:38 PM
I had a couple that were duplicated, i've got rid of them now, but there is no change! Any other ideas?

Thanks guys!

jscheuer1
03-31-2006, 04:07 PM
Now that you have, I assume, deleted the duplicate image files, have you also edited all your pages to use the one and only one copy that remains and cleared your IE browser's cache as well? If so, and it is still a problem, it is, as Twey said, just a mild annoyance that you will have to bear.

cjkenning
03-31-2006, 04:08 PM
Righto, thanks v much everyone!